IGNORED

Fragility of non-Atari 5200 cartridges

Chris-in-NJ

The 5200 I "inherited" had three Parker Bros. and one Activision cartridge with it, and I've noticed that on Q*bert and Popeye I've had to jiggle the actual chip inside the cartridge to make them work. I have yet to get either Frogger or River Raid to work at all, I just get either a green screen or a black one with a white bar on the side. Is this common with 3rd-party games? I'm sort of new to the 5200 and liking it more and more the more I play it -- played Qix for the first time ever this evening and really liked it, it's so different...

Activision carts can be very temperamental (?sp) because the contacts are slightly thinner than Atari first party carts.  Many of them just need a good cleaning, but some like Pitfall II and Mountain King will not work on certain systems.

I agree. Activision carts on the 5200 are a real pain. I have some games that were brand new and still had problems loading. Usually jiggling them around enough gets the job done though. And I think Pitfall2 works on both 2-port and 4-port, and it's Pitfall that is 4-port only.