IGNORED

Custom Thrust Controller - Version 1.

Robert M

Hi,

I have been dabbling with creating a custom controller for Thrust. I like the driving controller for rotation, but I could never get comfortable with the footpedals for the shields and thrust. So I decided to try and add 2 buttons to a driving controller so that all the needed buttons are on one controller. After several false starts and trial and error, I have finally suceeded. :D

In this first version, I retained the original fire button on the driving controller, and it is still used for firing. I hold the controller in my right hand, and turn the knob with my left. My thumb is on the button where the cable used to come out of the driving controller. That button is for thrusting. The other button rests under my pinky finger and it activates the shields.

In play, I like it. My pinky gets tired though. Plus with all the changes to the casing the fire button can twist a tiny bit and bind up a little bit. It doesn't get stuck it just bounces back slower than normal.

I have learned alot putting this one together, and I have some ideas for improvements for version 2. Once I get a version I like, I will post instructions on how to make one.

Cheers!

post-2784-1073095500_thumb.jpg

Once I get a version I like, I will post instructions on how to make one.  

Cheers!

Bah, just use an NES controller modified for atari. I already beat it, there are no special controllers required. ;)

Bah! I have never been good with thumb pads. ;)

What's really interesting to me is that there is no reason Atari couldn't have put 3 buttons on the driving controller in the first place. There are enough free signal lines for 2 more buttons on a single joystick cord. It could have made for a truly awesome driving controller: Accel, Brake, and shift. 8)

Cheers!

Cheers!

Bah, just use an NES controller modified for atari. I already beat it, there are no special controllers required. ;)

Bah! I have never been good with thumb pads. ;)

Cheers!

Yea, it is all what you are used to. But that one in the picture looks pretty clumsy to use. Good idea though, keep us posted on how well it works.

Other than you pinky getting tired ;)

I have never been good with thumb pads or driving controllers. I have to side with the Driving Controller as far as Thrust goes though. Yah, I realize it probably lessens my chances of ever finishing the game, but the controls are so amazing and add so much to the feel of the game. Thrust is awesome - no matter the controls, but the DC and Pedals are my preference as of now. This modified Driving Controller looks awesome!

@Robert M.: I would love to have one of these, if you were ever to produce more and sell them.

Cheers!

While I congratulate you on beating a hard game, please stop continually repeating the fact. Sorry but it is really grating now. :sad:

Cheers!

While I congratulate you on beating a hard game, please stop continually repeating the fact. Sorry but it is really grating now. :sad:

As soon as someone else beats it I will stop talking about it. :P

Sorry if anyone was offended so easily. I haven't talked about it that much. :|

Thanks for the positive responses. I ordered some switches from Mouser Electronics last night. I am hoping that some of them will work for my improved second version. It will be several days before the new switches arrive, so I probably won't have a version 2 for a couple weeks.

As for selling the modified controllers, If I think the final design is worthy of selling I will consider doing so. Right now its too much of a hack job and I wouldn't trust them to keep working for the long term. At the least I will post detailed instructions on how to put one together.

Cheers!

Well, now I have a projct to try :D    That looks really cool, I'm going to give it a shot.

QUICK TIP:

The added buttons in the picture are from Radio shack. They are part number 275-1566A. I tried a different switch first, but that switch took too much force to be comfortable to play with.

Cheers!

Well, now I have a projct to try :D    That looks really cool, I'm going to give it a shot.

QUICK TIP:

The added buttons in the picture are from Radio shack. They are part number 275-1566A. I tried a different switch first, but that switch took too much force to be comfortable to play with.

Cheers!

Thanks!!! I pick some of those up :)