IGNORED

Any advice before I do the 5200 video mod??

RangerG

Hello,

My wife and I just got back from Christmas vacation. I have had the 5200 video mod for weeks, but I had no time to work on it and I wanted to see if everyone else got it working OK. I have read through most of the posts and it seems many easily installed it, but a few had problems (I think Tempest is still having a problem). Also, I finally found an affordable new Atari television. Everyone must have gotten new televisions for Christmas and dumped the older smaller ones at Goodwill. There were three 20" tvs all less than 3 years old and all under $45. I got a 19" Sharp with one yellow video input and one white audio input on the front. A little cleaning and it looks great (not bad for $39.99). Any advice for me before I take my 5200 apart and do the mod? The 5200 is my favorite console so I really don't want to mess anything up. Thanks for the replies!

Take care,

RangerG

Its a very simple mod. There is nothing to really wire. I wound up cutting the audio wires off the mini jack and soldering them to the rca jacks that are normaly used for chroma / luma. This way I have a standard Video Left Right for the 3 RCA plugs.

Charlie

That sounds like a good idea. When I finally get around to doing mine I'll probably do the same thing.

RangerG -

I did the mod and ran into one problem that I finally figured out. When inserting the GTIA chip into the 5200 video mod board, make sure it's the right way!! (the circle and square imprint on the chip matches the direction in the picture provided). I unfortunately put the chip in using the TEXT on the chip as a guide which a bad assumption on my part.

Besides that, everything worked out great!! I am very impressed by the mod and it's ease to install. The pictures show *almost* everything you need to do!! :)

Good luck!