IGNORED

Need help with my 5200

SteveP21

Just got a 5200 about a week ago and the power supply today. Everything works but the sound and the controller is kind of flaky (joystick and start button works but rest dont?). I might be able to find out what is going on with the controller but the sound I think that the pokey is dead, could that be the cause of no sound output?

Steve

Got the controller working  :)  A little bit flaky but it works, now just need to fix the sound

It might be your video switchbox. Are you using the original 5200 style switchbox? If you have a two port you can use other switchboxes to see if that's it.

Allan

It could be a bad Pokey chip. Or it's possibly that the variable inducter that controls the sound adjustment is out of tune. It's that tall red thing on the right side of your board. Try adjusting it a little and see if the sound comes back. Just make sure you mark where you start from in case that's not the problem and you need to put it back.

Mitch

I was thinking on trying to doing a partial a/v mod (just connect the audio wire and see if i can get output from that. If it is the POKEY anyone know where to get one of those chips? I know you can get them from 7800 BallBlazer carts, but any place just sell the chip itself (desoldering skills are not to good (breaking pins)

Thanks,

Steve

Woohooo !!!! Opened up my 5200 again (and finally got the metal cover off) I was about to add the audio cable for the a/v mod when I noticed that one red choke (? if that is what that is called) had only one leg connected, so I resoldered it. Guess what, The sound works perfectly now :)