IGNORED

My 5200 Story....

chairmonkey4406

Today, Friday January 9th, 2004. I was looking on ebay to see how much this Vectrex I was looking at sold for. At the bottom of MyEbay it has things that I might be interested in. There was a 5200 ending in five minutes. I looked at it and its in great condition with 2 perfect condition working [/u] controllers and two games. The price? 30 BUCKS! I decide to try and sneak in a bid in the last minute so when the timer hit 1:00 I bid. When I clicked submit, my computer went really really slow. I was like COME ON COME ON HURRY UP! I was dancing around my room in hope that it would load in time. Well anyways, I won and It should come by Monday. here is a link if you want to look at it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=3069471712

Well I guess my question now is what games should I get? I already have Pac Man, Ms. Pac Man, Galaxian, and Soccer. What should I get now?

You got a great starter lot for a great price there with two very fun games. If the controllers are non-responsive, I recommend contacting MrRetrogamer via PM. He's a master at repairing the 5200 stock controllers. You can also take advantage of the new redemption hardware, which I've heard great things about. Welcome to the world of the 5200. It's very addictive! :D

If the controllers are non-responsive, I recommend contacting MrRetrogamer via PM.  He's a master at repairing the 5200 stock controllers.  :D

Thanks sku_u! I've fixed a few in my day........ :ponder: :P :D

And chairmonkey, if the controllers are actually fully working, consider yourself very fortunate! You did make a pretty nice score there, congrats!

Well I guess my question now is what games should I get? I already have Pac Man, Ms. Pac Man, Galaxian, and Soccer. What should I get now?

That was a sweet deal. For starters, the common cheap ones may be a good way to go. Berzerk, Defender, Mario Brothers Moon Patrol, and Jungle Hunt are pretty fun, decent ports of the arcade games. Once you are ready to spend a few bucks on extras, get a trackball and get Centipede and Missile Command. Even better are Robotron and Space Dungeon but for those you need the dual joystick holder. Sadly, the holder can cost you as much as $20 bucks. What's even sadder is the trackball can be had for less than that. Go figure. The sports titles are pretty lame (incl Soccer) although I enjoy the baseball now and then. The 5200 definetly rocks. It's always been my favorite system.

Rescue on Fractalus, Dreadnaught Factor, Moon Patrol, Pitfall II and when it comes out...Adventure II. Then you will be pretty set with that 5200. I think if I only had just those games...I would have all I needed. Wait...that isn't true.

You have to get Star Raiders...seriously...get it...and the first time you take out a Zylon, be amazed at what could be done with good coding and hardware from 79'.

8)

UPDATE- I called a local second hand video game store today and they said that they have a working 5200 tracball for nine bucks! I'm just yearning to go get it! Hopefully its in good shape. I've seen it there before but it was under somethings behind a counter. I definately want to get Combat II Advanced. Anyone have this? Opinions?

UPDATE- I called a local second hand video game store today and they said that they have a working 5200 tracball for nine bucks!

<sigh> I was hoping not to have to add you to the list of people I hate. That may have just done it!!! (just kidding of course ) :D

Another great find for you!!!

Congrats on finding a trak-ball for $9. That's a VERY good price, if it works correctly still (and they usually DO, from what I understand...).

The three games I'd recommend are a bit pricier, but worth the money: Montezuma's Revenge, Miner 2049er & Rescue on Fractalus. But, as someone else already mentioned, a good way to start out is to try getting some of the more common ones. I'd recommend trying to bid for a group of carts on eBay, and you should be able to get quite a few of these for a low price.

Not many will admit this (since the graphics aren't the greatest), but I actually find myself playing the "Progressive" variation on Super Breakout quite a bit...you can usually find this game very cheap. Football can also be a LOT of fun with 2 players, but you're going to have a tough time with the "2" key missing on one of your controllers (you also need playbooks for this game). Mario Bros. & Joust are fun 2-player games, too.

Hopefully Combat II will be available again soon so you and I can both purchase this game!

Cool! Glad you can get in on the 5200 action.

My favorite games:

Berzerk

HERO

Bounty Bob Strikes Back (way too expensive though! :sad: )

Space Dungeon (best with dual control holder)

Pitfall II (absolute favorite, has bonus world)

Zaxxon (my favorite port)

Kaboom

Frogger (option to play with keypad that I really like)

Missile Command (best with trak-ball)

...  Football can also be a LOT of fun with 2 players, but you're going to have a tough time with the "2" key missing on one of your controllers (you also need playbooks for this game).  

I generally assume things like this are already available online. However, if the playbooks aren't posted somewhere, I'm happy to scan and post them.

-- Steve

Definitely get the following protos from Atari Age:

Super Pac Man

Pac Man Jr

Millipede

For released games try:

Star Raiders

Defender

Missile Command

Centipede

Countermeasure

Qix

Megamania

Berzerk

Popeye

While some people will disagree with these games, I also recommend:

Q-Bert

Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator

Even though I don't have a 5200, here are some games I'd recommend:

Ballblazer

Rescue on Fractalus

Qix

Xevious (get this one at the AA store)

Centipede (it works with the Trak-Ball)

Millipede (get this one at the AA store)

Beamrider

Vanguard

Jr. Pac-Man

Missile Command (works with the Trak-Ball)

Space Invaders

Bounty Bob Strikes Back (if you can find it)

Gremlins

Frogger

Jungle Hunt

Robotron 2084

H.E.R.O.

Mario Bros.

Space Dungeon

Berzerk (has voice)

Megamania

Moon Patrol

Defender

Pole Position