IGNORED

New Atari 7800 Intro!

Heaven/TQA

i have spent today afternoon to create this little intro to show how easy it is to code on 7800...

i can not understand why the hell all newbies start with 2600 and not with more interesting machines like 5200,800 or 7800...

you'll find the archive with all necessary files in the programming forum.

cheers,

ps. intro is not tested on real 7800 just on mess 0.78...

post-528-1073929827_thumb.jpg

apolloboy... i am sorry...i totally disagree... 2600 is a pain for newbies....

i can not understand why the hell a lot of guys & girls "i want to write videogames" wannabies start with the 2600... which is really hard coming from PC...or even never touched programming at all (except the VCR or the mobile phones.... ;))

i am just the simple excersice "putting a sprite" on screen seems quite complicated with the kernel stuff... (i might be sarcastic here... ;))

the 800, 5200 or even 7800 make your live easier with imho quicker success so for more motivation... not to mention c64 or GBA...

i guess most guys start on 2600 because they think "wow...here i can get famous...)

Thanks, that's cool, I'll have to check it out (especially since I'm one of the lucky people with a 7800 dev kit, so I can try it on a real 7800).

I still think the Lynx is the place to start for newbies...the C compiler is at least adequate, and the sprite engine is powerful and easy to use.

Eric

apolloboy... i am sorry...i totally disagree... 2600 is a pain for newbies....

I think it was sarcasm...

i can not understand why the hell a lot of guys & girls "i want to write videogames" wannabies start with the 2600... which is really hard coming from PC...or even never touched programming at all (except the VCR or the mobile phones.... ;))

i am just the simple excersice "putting a sprite" on screen seems quite complicated with the kernel stuff... (i might be sarcastic here... ;))

the 800, 5200 or even 7800 make your live easier with imho quicker success so for more motivation... not to mention c64 or GBA...

i guess most guys start on 2600 because they think "wow...here i can get famous...)

Or they just have fond memories of it.

No one wants to make, say, a homebrew Virtual Boy game. Well, some do, but most have nothing but hatred for the VB and anything related to it.

They want to start with what they love.

after spending additional 3 hours... here is the new version with some additional oldschool effects... a scroller... ;)

can someone check it on real hardware as mess does not run smooth on my machine and i don't know if the scroller flickers...

next will be music...

7800 is really easy to code... and it helps coming from other 8bit machines like c64 & atari 800...

swing1b.zip

post-528-1074130280_thumb.jpg

No one wants to make, say, a homebrew Virtual Boy game. Well, some do, but most have nothing but hatred for the VB and anything related to it.  

They want to start with what they love.

Actually I tried my hand at coding for the VB,(im strange :D like that) but not enough documentation ....thanks to the people around here I have gotten a decent grip on the Atari computer/5200 and someday would like to code a little something....I think the Atari computers are the best way to start if you want to code for the consoles, its a good place to learn....