IGNORED

Thoughts on TIME PILOT (VCS version)

Adrian M

The arcade version is known for its legendary twitch action, non-stop destruction, as well as memorable graphics and sounds. Being a big fan of the coin-op, I recently purchased the Coleco VCS version and fired it up, hoping for the best.

Well, it wasn't quite the game I had hoped for, but considering what Coleco had to work with, it's not a total loss. Gone is the arcade's appealing rapid-fire stream of bullets...your plane is now reduced to something from COMBAT with a disappointing lack of firepower. Scrolling is choppy, the patterns are different and sooner or later you get the feeling that your playing nothing more than an enhanced version of a COMBAT aerial stage albeit with boss planes and different time periods. It's an admirable effort, but given the stellar gameplay of the coin-op the VCS just can't compare.

I know it's a Coleco game and all, but what did the rest of you honestly think? Personally, I'd like to see that game re-done for the 2600 possibly utilizing the THRUST+ engine or something similar.

If you found the 2600 version choppy...you should play the Colecovision version. Because in my opinion (Owning Both) the VCS version trounces all over it. The CV version is so choppy as almost being unplayable. The graphics are touched up a tad but it still isn't quite the arcade.

Just a thought and a surprise that to me the VCS version is the better of the two.

I didn't even KNOW this was out for the VCS until many years later. I actually had seen it listed in an ad originally, but I had dismissed it as vaporware. Imagine my surprise when I saw it as an actual VCS game years later in a FAQ on the net!

I only got to try out this game through emulation, and later, on real hardware through the Cuttlecart. You know, it aint half bad. I mean it's Time Pilot on the VCS. Like Crossbow says, they couldn't even really get it going on the Colecovision.. so for what it is, I dig it.

Hmmm... I wonder if you could eke out another version of Time Pilot from the 2600 Sinistar code :ponder: