IGNORED

CSS Black Box (faulty) - What to do with it?

Tickled_Pink

I have had a faulty CSS Black Box now for a while but haven't got around to getting it repaired. Is it worth me selling it (along with the drives - which includes hard disk, 3.5" and 5.25" floppy drives - includes floppy board) and if so, how much might I get for it?

Or is it worth holding onto until I can get the cash to get it repaired?

Hell ... can anyone here repair it (as long as they're in the UK)?

For reference to those who know what I'm on about, it doesn't read the ROM (no LED activity when a button is pressed).

It will probably be easier to get that fixed in the UK, but I believe that CSS is still in business; you might want to check out their website at:  

http://www.nleaudio.com/css

Not so sure of that, I wrote them an email several weeks ago and still have not received a response. I forgot I wrote them until I saw this thread. If someone does manage to get a response, I'm curious to see if they are still in business. Their website hasn't been updated in some time.

..Al

To be honest, you are better off calling and asking for Bob Puff, you'll have a better chance of getting results that way.

I know the email I sent went straight to Bob Puff, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's still reading (and responding) to email received on that account. I do agree that a phone call would be the best and quickest way to get a response.

..Al

I actually called CSS before Xmas, as I was looking into getting (eventually) their dual 3.5/5.25 drive XF551 mechanism. It seems that CSS has been "subsumed" by another company (listed in the same building), and that they have much of the old CSS stock -- or so said the sales representative I spoke with. ;)

Well, one of the reasons I contacted Bob Puff was also to try to get hold of an E-Burner. Unfortunately it's one of those items that, despite being on the catalogue pages of the CSS web site, is no longer available.

I did design my own simple 5v EEPROM burner as a result. Principles the same as an EPROM burner but works with 5v EEPROMS and so doesn't need any extra circuitry for the programming voltage. Worked by using the joystick ports as a type of serial port and used 4 chips. Never got around to putting it together but I did put a schematic up on an electronics board (like this one) ... god knows what the URL is, though. Would be nice if someone here would have a go to see if the design works - should do in principle.