IGNORED

SEGA GENESIS CONTROLLER

ROCKINGROLL

quote:

Originally posted by ROCKINGROLL:

Can I use a Sega Genesis controller on the 7800?

Yes, the Sega Genesis controller will work on the 7800, as will the Sega Master System controller. However, you need to modify the controller in order to get functionality for the 7800's second fire button. There's information on this in the 7800 FAQ:

How to convert Sega Controllers

..Al

• 4 years later...
  • 4 years later...

You can, but only one of the action buttons will work. And there are certain games that nothing but the Atari 7800 hand controllers will work on, like Karateka, One On One, and Choplifter.

Wait, so even with a modified sega pad or other unofficial controller, I can't play Choplifter?

You can, but only one of the action buttons will work. And there are certain games that nothing but the Atari 7800 hand controllers will work on, like Karateka, One On One, and Choplifter.

Wait, so even with a modified sega pad or other unofficial controller, I can't play Choplifter?

I can't see how that would be true. With an appropriately modified controller I don't think there's any way the 7800 itself or any game software would be able to tell the difference.

There's no intelligence in the 7800 controller that needs to be faked. It's just passive components that should be easily duplicated.

Edited by BigO

I can't see how that would be true. With an appropriately modified controller I don't think there's any way the 7800 itself or any game software would be able to tell the difference.

There's no intelligence in the 7800 controller that needs to be faked. It's just passive components that should be easily duplicated.

Thanks, that's what I'd figured, but I just had to check.