IGNORED

Hidden Code In Impossible Mission

Tempest

Do you mean like "Remember to blink your eyes occasionally" and "Buy low sell high" and "I'm your PAL...ATARI, THE MOTHER OF ALL VIDEOGAME COMPANIES"?

Yep. I also saw the ending game text which I've never seen before.

Tempest

Yep. I also saw the ending game text which I've never seen before.

Tempest

I guess you just need to beat the game then. ;) Speaking as one of the few people (or only person?) that has beaten both the PAL and NTSC version of 7800 Impossible Mission, I would have to say that the ending screen isn't very exciting.

Mitch

I thought the reason nobody else had beaten the NTSC version of Impossible Mission was because it was flawed, and the clues needed to finish the game were put into inaccesible places?

For the standard NTSC version that is correct, but I was one of the testers for the hacked/fixed version. Which, alas, hasn't been released for copyright reasons. :(

Mitch

For the standard NTSC version that is correct, but I was one of the testers for the hacked/fixed version. Which, alas, hasn't been released for copyright reasons.  

So what was the problem? Was is just a mistyped instruction or was it more than that?

Copyright reasons? Who owns Epyx now? Would they really care if someone released a bug fix? Now if they were trying to sell it, that could cause problems.

Tempest

So what was the problem?  Was is just a mistyped instruction or was it more than that?

Copyright reasons?  Who owns Epyx now?  Would they really care if someone released a bug fix?  Now if they were trying to sell it, that could cause problems.

Tempest

I don't know what the problem was in the code, I just play tested the corrected version to make sure it was beatable.

I believe Bridgestone owns the EPYX rights as well as the Starpath rights. I think negotiations were going on at one point and releasing the ROM might cause problems. I don't know for sure since I was only a tester.

Mitch

• 2 weeks later...

Why is this such a big deal? Comparing the PAL (fixed) version of this to NTSC, there are very few differences. I see a couple of patches in the code, plus the usual handling of extra scan lines.

I could easily put the patches in the NTSC version and see if it fixes it, but I'm not good enough at the game to be able to know.

Did the PAL 7800 not have the encryption?

Yep. The PAL 7800 was "encryptionless" AFAIK. There is a program out there that can generate the CRC for you though (a78sign or something like that).

BTW what was the problem with the NTSC version? Was it several lines of code or just one variable? I'm still wondering how this got past the playtesters.

Tempest

There are 2 patches to the code that I found. Actually, a couple things are NOP'd out in the PAL version which is the opposite of what you'd expect.

You need the DEV bios to play these since it isn't signed, but anyone who is good at this game give it a try and let me know!

impossible_mission__1987___atari___fixed_ntsc_.zip

• 3 weeks later...