IGNORED

Is this normal? Question about picture from a sears heavy 6

Vernoman

I am wondering if this blue line on the left side of the screen is normal?

The quality of the picture is actually really good, except for the blue line. The digital photo doesn't do it justice.

This is on a Sears Tele-Games Heavy Sixer.

I want to sell this system, but I want to make sure I don't rip anybody off.

http://cbhomeinventory.com/thrifty/atari/centipede.jpg

I am wondering if this blue line on the left side of the screen is normal?

The quality of the picture is actually really good, except for the blue line.  The digital photo doesn't do it justice.

This is on a Sears Tele-Games Heavy Sixer.

I want to sell this system, but I want to make sure I don't rip anybody off.

http://cbhomeinventory.com/thrifty/atari/centipede.jpg

Have you tried a different TV? It may be your TV that's doing it.

I've tried other games, but they look fine.

In breakout, for instance, I think the line is still there, but you can't tell because of the frame already in the game.

I've tried another TV, but get the same result.

I take it since you've replied with these questions, that it's not normal.

I'm not sure if it's fixable.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

That line is perfectly normal, all my Centipede carts have that, it's what is called HMOVE lines.

Nah, the HMOVE lines are the short horizontal black lines. In Centipede, they only occur on the lines with blue dots. To the left of the dots. The blue color is a video artifact caused by a sharp edge on the video signal being interpreted as a blue pixel. It will happen with every game you have most likely.

Both the HMOVE bars and the blue edge are normal, BTW.

To fix the artifact, turn down the color saturation on your tv...it's too high.

(the blue bar probably won't go away entirely...unless the color is too low for normal viewing, but this will help.)

-Chris

That line is perfectly normal, all my Centipede carts have that, it's what is called HMOVE lines.

Nah, the HMOVE lines are the short horizontal black lines. In Centipede, they only occur on the lines with blue dots. To the left of the dots. The blue color is a video artifact caused by a sharp edge on the video signal being interpreted as a blue pixel. It will happen with every game you have most likely.

Both the HMOVE bars and the blue edge are normal, BTW.

To fix the artifact, turn down the color saturation on your tv...it's too high.

(the blue bar probably won't go away entirely...unless the color is too low for normal viewing, but this will help.)

-Chris

Yeah, I didn't think this thread was about the "comb" lines on the side. My heavy sixer has a green on one side and blue on the other. I just figured it was how they are made.

Hmmm....I think CPUWIZ *was* talking about the comb lines. But the original poster was wondering about the artifacting.

Vernoman if you sell the console, you can feel good about telling the buyer it's normal. But you might also let them know

about my s-video upgrade board, the CyberTech Video Card. ;)

(yet another shameless self promotion!)

-Chris

Oh yeah...CPUWIZ, when you said it doesn't happen on the 7800, did you mean the HMOVE bug, the color artifacting, or both?

-Chris

The HMOVE artifacting. :D

It only happens on my 2600's not on the 7800.

Heh...good answer. :)

Then the pic you posted is of your 2600 in action. Could you post a screenshot of your 7800 running the same cartridge? I'm curious...

-Chris

I'm pretty sure I know what causes it. TIA has a "BLANK" pin that signals when TIA's video is forced off (During the H and VBLANK periods, and during HMOVE cycles). On early 2600's, this pin was connected to the video circuits (I believe this is because the earliest TIA revisions produced video even during blanking periods, and it was up to this pin to silence the video circuits externally), but later on, it was left unconnected. On any 2600 where BLANK (pin 6) is used, you will get a little spike in the picture whenever the 2600 enters or exits a blanking period.

Try lifting pin 6 out of the socket and see if the noise goes away (or becomes harder to see).

-Bry