IGNORED

pcengine / turbografx CPU in atari???

Heaven/TQA

i am not a hardware guy but just popped over a system which i never had in many years but just read about it... the lovely pc engine...

for the hardware guys... as the CPU has a 6502 core included would it be possible to enhance / exchange the atari 6502 with it? or are there any other "compatible" CPUs which we could plugin into the atari???

i am not a hardware guy but just popped over a system which i never had in many years but just read about it... the lovely pc engine...

for the hardware guys... as the CPU has a 6502 core included would it be possible to enhance / exchange the atari 6502 with it? or are there any other "compatible" CPUs which we could plugin into the atari???

Hmmm, I am not sure, if I get what you mean.....

The MOS 6502 was one of the most popular 8-Bit CPUs available at that time, together with the Zilog Z80 and Intel 8080...

but it was with only 25USD much cheaper than any of the competitors....

It was used in a wide range of computers and Videogamesystems (e.g. the NES)....

Over the years there have been several small modifications made to the 6502 (e.g. the 6502A in the 400/800, the 6502C in the XL/XE), but it wouldn't make much sense to change the cpu....

The clockspeed of the 6502 in the Atari is synchronized with the Antic, so on any cpu cycle come exactly 2 color cycles....

I doubt, that a 6502 with e.g. a different speed could work at all in the Atari....

the pc-enginge was in fact a 8-bit game console that could easily compete with the 16-bit systems, like the Sega MegaDrive or the Super NES......

I am pretty sure, it made extended use of sophisticated coprozessors to make the excellent graphic and sound-fx possible.....

unfortunately it couldn't get the attention it deserved on the market....

I doubt, that  a 6502 with e.g. a different speed could work at all in the Atari....

I wonder if it could be possible. On c64 there seems to be a 20 mhz upgrade with a 65816 (I've seen one on a c64 meeting in the Netherlands). I still wonder how they did synchronize the cpu with the VIC-II.

-----

mux

i was in touch years go with a guy developing a turbo board for the atari xl range with a 65816 and 20mhz, too... but i am not sure if it ever made it...

reg. pc engine...

http://www.magicengine.com/mkit/

cpu infos:

http://www.magicengine.com/mkit/doc_hard_cpu.html

i mean...maybe there are 6502 me too cpus who have nicer or aditional commands which could speed code even running at 1,79 mhz...