IGNORED

Copying multipel files in GEM

I know, I know, I should remember how to do this, but I can't!

I just got my ST out of mothballs, and would like to install some the those great adventure games to my hard drive. How can I select all files from within a GEM window?

I was thinking that on my falcon, you pressed the "E" key, but this doesn't work on my 520STFM (modified to 4 megs).

I know I can hold the shift key down, use the rubber band feature, but how can I select every file, then copy over?

thank you very much,

Rob

If you are doing Floppy to Hard Disk, can't you drag the Floppy disk icon to whatever directory on the HD you want? Maybe that'll do it...  ;)

Duh, I didn't even think of mentioning that! I should have, too, I've been doing quite a bit of that with my Falcon.

If you are doing Floppy to Hard Disk, can't you drag the Floppy disk icon to whatever directory on the HD you want? Maybe that'll do it...  ;)

Duh, I didn't even think of mentioning that! I should have, too, I've been doing quite a bit of that with my Falcon.

Still, though, I don't think this is the most versatile way -- for instance, if you have three floppies with, say an SSI folder (I think Questron was like that), I'm pretty sure that this wouldn't work, as I think everytime it would simply overrite the SSI disk. I just want to be able to do to the window, select all (I think on the Falcon, it was "E" - sort of like CTRL-A in windows)

oh, well, maybe no way. perhaps only in newer versions of TOS

Still, though, I don't think this is the most versatile way -- for instance, if you have three floppies with, say an SSI folder (I think Questron was like that), I'm pretty sure that this wouldn't work, as I think everytime it would simply overrite the SSI disk.   I just want to be able to do to the window, select all (I think on the Falcon, it was "E" - sort of like CTRL-A in windows)

oh, well, maybe no way.  perhaps only in newer versions of TOS

I know what you mean, plenty of the games I've copied over to my Falcon's HD have been plenty tedious, even with being able to select all files with one shot. Have you considered upgrading your version of TOS?

The ST's owner manual says to hold down [shift] while selecting icons to select multiple icons, this way they don't have to be grouped together or visible in the window like with the rubber-band "lasso" way...if a file is already selected, shift-left click will disable too, so if you "lasso" a bunch of files but want one in the middle deleted, then you use both ways to accomplish this task. I have TOS 1.0-1.2 (somewhere in there) and this works fine. But at least with the [shift] key you can scroll through the window and select all the files, since there seems to be no way to automatically do it with older TOS versions... :ponder: I always drag a folder or drive icon itself to get every file at once in a directory.

1. Open your new destination folder/window and minimize it and drag it down to the lower right corner of the screen.

2. Open up the folder/window that you want to copy the files out of and put it in the upper left corner of the screen.

3. Place the mouse pointer slightly above and to the left of the files you want to copy.

4. Click and hold the left mouse button and drag it over the files you want to copy, in order to highlight them.

5. Drag the highlighted files over to the new folder.

When copying games that have multiple disks and some of the same file names on each disk, it will ask you if you want to overwrite the file, just select "Skip" and it will go to the next file to copy.

Is this what you want to do?

1. Open your new destination folder/window and minimize it and drag it down to the lower right corner of the screen.

2. Open up the folder/window that you want to copy the files out of and put it in the upper left corner of the screen.

3. Place the mouse pointer slightly above and to the left of the files you want to copy.

4. Click and hold the left mouse button and drag it over the files you want to copy, in order to highlight them.

5. Drag the highlighted files over to the new folder.

When copying games that have multiple disks and some of the same file names on each disk, it will ask you if you want to overwrite the file, just select "Skip" and it will go to the next file to copy.

Is this what you want to do?

Well, sort of -- I am aware how to do that, but what if there are many files and folders, and you want to select them all or certain ones (that are not visible in the source folder)? The quickest way would be to select all, then deselect the ones that you didnt' want, but I can't get it to do that.

thanks for you help!

• 19 years later...

<E> (for everything) is only on the newer versions of TOS. I use it with TOS v2.06 and 3.06 here.

TOS v1.4 here does not have that.

As mentioned, <control> is for moving files. <Shift> will select a file and you can "lasso" and

"rubber band" multiple files. Using <shift> again will deselect it.

Just a thought, it might be a little less cumbersome with lower TOS versions to switch to an all

text mode instead of icons, for these file operations.

Otherwise, use an replacement desktop that allows a hot-key to select all files or upgrade your

TOS version. Not sure but would any of the replacement file selectors allow mass selection and

file operations? Can't remember...

HTH's.   :)

Just find a copy of Kobold and use that for copying if you want to move large amounts of files. It is faster and has lots of home comforts including rename or overwrite. It is on here if you want to try it..

https://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/?folder=/DISKTOOL

Scroll down to the 2.5 version if you are English speaking, there is a 3 available but it is in German.

Am I the only one who cringes when I read something I wrote almost 20 years ago? Ugh. 

Anyway, the advice above is recommended. When it came to copying or moving files in TOS, it was always better to use a third party utility, as native TOS file transfers are notoriously slow, especially on older versions.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/22/2023 at 12:34 PM, Zogging Hell said:

Just find a copy of Kobold and use that for copying if you want to move large amounts of files. It is faster and has lots of home comforts including rename or overwrite. It is on here if you want to try it..

https://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/?folder=/DISKTOOL

Scroll down to the 2.5 version if you are English speaking, there is a 3 available but it is in German.

<snaps fingers!> This - another great option. I should have mentioned it as I have it installed on every

TOS machine I have, although I tend to use it for larger file operations and use the standard desktop for

the smaller ones.

I also use it to erase those pesky files that Windows machines tend to scatter all over my SD cards when

I do file transfers between the 2 platforms.   :)

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 3/22/2023 at 3:24 PM, DarkLord said:

<E> (for everything) is only on the newer versions of TOS. I use it with TOS v2.06 and 3.06 here.

TOS v1.4 here does not have that.

As mentioned, <control> is for moving files. <Shift> will select a file and you can "lasso" and

"rubber band" multiple files. Using <shift> again will deselect it.

Just a thought, it might be a little less cumbersome with lower TOS versions to switch to an all

text mode instead of icons, for these file operations.

Otherwise, use an replacement desktop that allows a hot-key to select all files or upgrade your

TOS version. Not sure but would any of the replacement file selectors allow mass selection and

file operations? Can't remember...

HTH's.   :)

Yup Universal Item Selector - UISIII - completely replaces the system file selector within all GEM programs. It allows mass selection of files & their manipulation - as well as much more! Very handy especially on single tasking systems & works well with Hotwire 3.

Correction: UISIII replaces the system file selector even from the desktop. However there may be some Gem or semi gemmed programs that use their own custom file selector rather than the system file selector. Superbase Professional comes to mind as one of them.

Edited by BJolly