IGNORED

Anyone Ever Seen This?

Mendon

My guess would be the push button is a 'hard reset' switch. A normally closed pushbutton wired in series with the power input. Ive seen these installed in XL systems before.

Another guess on the toggle switch... a bypass to allow the computer to operate with the cartridge door open.

When I was a kid, my best friend had a 400 with the raised keyboard mod AND the 48k upgrade.. That was the envy of the neighborhood.. for a couple of weeks at least. They must have sunk some decent cash into that 400 at the time, and we only used it for games.

Thanks for all the responses, guys!

I had no idea that these were so popular. As I said, I had heard about them and seem to recall some articles in Antic or Analog on doing the mod but I never saw one before. But I also never owned a 400 before; started right off with the 800.

Maybe I'm wrong but is it possible that Atari made the 400 mainly as a "gaming machine"? The people that I knew who had 400's (not very many at all) didn't use it for much of anything other than gaming and its hard to believe that Atari would actually think that people would do Antic/Analog type-in programs on one. But maybe so.

Anyway, thanks to all for your responses!

Mendon

The 400 was definitely aimed at the kids/family market. Atari used to say that you could spill drinks on the 400 and it would still work.

The 800's marketing often stressed the more "serious" applications.

There was a definite games emphasis with both, though. Just the term "player-missile graphics" tells you where they were coming from. And having four joystick ports! That was unique, and a great selling point.

The wide range of cartridge software was also a factor in the marketing of the machines. Compare the range of carts for the A8 with that for the C64, which, in most respects, was a more successful machine.

In the UK, the A8 carts were very expensive (as were the machines). That changed at around the time of the introduction of the 65xe, when Atari was heading downhill fast. I suspect that Atari had not anticipated the range of third-party software (including carts) that would appear.

Third-party support is actually one of the biggest factors in keeping a system alive. Those in the UK had a better time of it, while we in the States had to contend with the trickle of software made by third parties when it became clear to them that Atari lacked direction...and too often the games chosen to port were not the better titles.

Atari worked hard in the early days to shake it's "just a you-know-what machine" image, but by '84 it didn't matter much anymore.