IGNORED

2 port 4 port 5200 OS bios and 2600 adapter compatibility

kheller2

How about that for the longest subject? It should catch just about any search.

Since this information is rather new to me, has been discussed somewhat in many threads, and it isn't in the FAQ?!?! I thought I would post a consolidated thread with the answers that I will update as more information becomes available.

Some of these notes are taken from the June 1983 Rev3 5200 Field Service Manual FD100127

Official 5200 Versions mentioned in the FSM:

4-Port "Original" CA018087, 28 chips

4-Port "Universal" CA020180, 26 chips "+" in serial number

2-Port "2-Port" CA021374, 24 chips

Other 5200 Versions:

4-Port "*" -- A CA018087 board modified by Atari to support the CX55

4-Port "on-board power" -- power plugs into base like 2 port. Best Electronics describes these as 4-port units that were sent in for repair and were modified to not use the autoswitch box after 4 port production has stopped.

2-Port "4-Port OS" CA021374 with a 4-port OS

2-Port "2-Port" CA021374 with 22byte shifted OS.

Supposedely all 5200 except the "Original" can use the the 2600 CX55 adapter (including the "+" and "*" models).

Some 2 port units can not play:

K-Razy Shoot Out

Pitfall

Mountain King

5200 Bios numbers, revisions, compatibility:

CO19156 4-Port OS (Plays all known games)

CO19156A 2-Port OS (Does not play above games)

TechTips:

#7 1/20/83 Rockwell CPUs stamped "RC" with a datecode of "8250" are defective and require an additional timing circuit

#12 CA018087 units show a black or garbled screen because of a solder issue.

I have a few other TTs. Does anyone have a complete list in softcopy?

How about that for the longest subject? It should catch just about any search.

Since this information is rather new to me, has been discussed somewhat in many threads, and it isn't in the FAQ?!?! I thought I would post a consolidated thread with the answers that I will update as more information becomes available.

Some of these notes are taken from the June 1993 Rev3 5200 Field Service Manual FD100127

Official 5200 Versions mentioned in the FSM:

4-Port "Original" CA018087, 28 chips

2-Port "2-Port" CA021374, 24 chips

Other 5200 Versions:

4-Port "*" Model with * in serial number.. unknown part number

4-Port "on-board power" -- power plugs into base like 2 port. Unknown P#

2-Port "Updated Bios" unknown part number

2-Port "Incompatible Bios" unkown part number

Supposedely all 5200 except the "Original" can use the the 2600 CX55 adapter (including the "+" and "*" models).

Some 2 port units can not play:

K-Razy Shoot Out

Pitfall

Mountain King

5200 Bios numbers, revisions, compatibility:

TBD.

TechTips:

#7 1/20/83 Rockwell CPUs stamped "RC" with a datecode of "8250" are defective and require an additional timing circuit

#12 CA018087 units show a black or garbled screen because of a solder issue.

I have a few other TTs.  Does anyone have a complete list in softcopy?

Wow, let's see where to start.

The 5200 FAQ hasn't been updated in quite some time. I emailed a lot of this info to Keita over a year ago but since AtariHQ hasn't been updated either I'm not holding my breath waiting for an update.

For the Field Service Manual date I'm sure you mean 1983 not 1993. :)

The 4 port with the * in the serial is the same model number as the original 4 port, it just has a hardware patch/hack added to it. Note, not all of the patched original 4 ports have a * in the serial, some were patched post factory and didn't include it.

The power modded 4 ports are just the standard 4 port model with the power patch/hack added on after, similar to the above patch. I have never seen one of these patched 4 ports open, so I don't know what 4 port board revision was used, possibly both.

The 2 port models are identical the only difference being which BIOS chip happens to be in it. You have to actually check the writing on the BIOS chip to see which one you have, there is no outward difference. It is usually easier to try one of the three affected games than to open the system. To tell the difference between the two BIOS revisions you need to check if there is an "A" at the end of the model number. The 2 port has the "A", the 4 port does not.

Mitch

• 8 years later...

I have searched for answers and can't find a newer post with the info., maybe this could be pinned for newer 5200 collectors. Is this the most accurate information of the 5200 2 VS 4 port and and is it up to date?

I am looking to pick up a 4 port that is compatible with the adapter for 2600 games as I don't have room for both setups and would still like to play 2600 games while I get into collecting for the 5200.

I would like to know your opinions on which is better the + or * model and verify that they are compatible with the 2600 CX55 adapter.

Does either have better video output or is either easier to add the video mods to?

Which video mod is the best for the 5200?

4-Port "*" -- A CA018087 board modified by Atari to support the CX55