IGNORED

Another try (RMT n stuff) ;)

emkay

OK... I didn't expect some quotes of "Hey emkay... your the best there"...

But, what was to say against some kind of quotes like:

-Hey ... this sounds partially like a softsynth... with only some RMT features

or

-boah... 4 octaves of clear pokey sound in one melody and the high notes are still played without any interferings...

or

- cool.... how is it possible to develop software for enhancing the possibilities of music creation this way...?

or else

:roll:

"nothing to say is like to speak in books"...

Sorry man, I didn't listen to it yet, though I've downloaded it. When I download things I've got to transport it from the downstairs PC via LAN to my upstairs PC where I've got no internet, but got emu and real a8.

You'll hear some comments soon.

You really need a wireless LAN :)

(I always test on the real machine).

Bassdrum sounds terrific. I even thought I was at a dance party for a moment. And indeed the fast 4 octave arpeggios seem to be very clear. I bet you used 2 16bit channels for this.

Also a minimum of detuning. Way to go.

But please put the sound, that sack called: 'pokey, screaming its balls of', back in.

(I always test on the real machine).

Bassdrum sounds terrific. I even thought I was at a dance party for a moment. And indeed the fast 4 octave arpeggios seem to be very clear. I bet you used 2 16bit channels for this.

Also a minimum of detuning. Way to go.

But please put the sound, that sack called: 'pokey, screaming its balls of', back in.

That was the overall wrong quote ;)

1. The Bassdrum does not sound terrific.

a) It IS a real speaker moving Bassdrum which is always sounding similar... one to each other.

b) It is the max. of a real Bassdrum we can get out of the pokey by the available software.... and the sounding can be enhanced.... even if you would prefer a Bass-Guitar.

2. This "screaming the balls off" sound .... I shurely won't ever more hear it in songs like this one... especially for the main Voice.

Isn't it a Guy called Analmux that is still trying to create assymetric Squarewaves? Well POKEY is already doing so without full CPU powers and a switched off screen. Just put some changings in pitch and volume...

3. The Key for enhancing POKEY's Sound lies in ("lies in" is the wrong word... "is still resting in" would fit better) variable updatings and the resulting notes.

Variable updatings will cost more cpu time than simple 50Hz programming, but if there is enough time for two POKEYs (8 Channels) with 150(?)Hz like in RMT, then there must be enough time for two 16Bit Channels and one resulting PCM channel for variable updatings...

1. The Bassdrum does not sound terrific.  

a) It  IS a real speaker moving Bassdrum which is always sounding similar... one to each other.

b) It is the max. of a real Bassdrum we can get out of the pokey by the available software.... and the sounding can be enhanced.... even if you would prefer a Bass-Guitar....

You should hear the song on a real atari, then you'll talk differently.

I'm not saying it's the best bass we can get, but it's a very powerfull one.

50 hz programming you say...

Can we apply the same sound tricks to 60 hz NTSC programming? Or would you need to rewrite all effects?

For 60Hz you would have to rebuild the timing.

Perhaps the VBI will not be long enough as it is in 50Hz timing... but you don't have to update the registers that often per frame.