IGNORED

hacking a CX80 trackball for PC - possible?

asteroid76

I read somewhere ages ago someone had hacked some Atari trackballs, presumably the CX80, as there are similar units with different models for the 2600 and 7800,

this guy had them rigged up to PC serial ports for some kind of kiosk application in a museum somewhere in the US. They were ideal as the CX80s look and feel nice and are pretty much indestructable and a new trackball of the same quality for a PC Im guessing would be expensive.

A short while I hacked a nice big chunky green Sega Dreamcast arcade stick to work with USB on my PC for mame, its almost working, except Ive lost the screws and only 4 of the 6 buttons work, I did this by getting a cheap usb joypad and solder some wires from the joypad's PCB to the switches in the joystick. Its all neatly tucked away inside the body of the joystick unit itself. It was a pretty cool hack and cheaper and less work in making a casing for a whole new joystick panel like some other MAME fans have been doing.

would be nice, to do the same with the trackball, Im guessing if I got a cheap USB ball mouse and gut it and put some wires between where the led diodes go on the mouse pcb to the trackball's pcb

this could be a bit more difficult and I dont want to fry the usb controller of my PC, so might rigging this up to an old crappy P166 or something.

anyone tried this, or curious as me?