IGNORED

GEOS Source Code now available!

Curt Vendel

Nope. No Geos on atari yet! :D

But there was a quite good (as I heard) Diamond GOS which was something like Atari ST's TOS for A8. It was released on cartridge only and wasn't so popular as it should.  :(

I used to have Diamond GOS on cart, and did quite like it, although I never used it that much. I never found much use for a graphic OS on the 8-bits, as it's usually much easier to simply type in a command. I don't think that the lack of popularity of Diamond GOS was a reflection on the quality of the product: it was released in '88-'89, and few people were buying new 8-bit products in North America by that point. Jim Reeves also released his product on disk, if I remember correctly.

I had Diamond GOS back in the day, the final mega cart version, and it was alright, but it never had the application support that GEOS had and Diamond Write was pitifully slow and tended to crash, making you lose all your work. But if you want a fantastic Graphic OS today for the Atari 8-bit's ATOS is the only word you need remember. I think it's better than GEOS or even GEM. It works with a harddrive or SIO2PC/APE using a PC HD. I think he also has a version that works with just floppy drives now, but it's virtually 100% compatible with all applications and games in file form. It's fantastic, look for yourself! http://cth.dtdns.net/atos/ It has tons of features and applications with it. Check out the icon and wallpaper pages as well as the "open program interface" link near the top to see screen shots of it.