IGNORED

Desert *ugh* Falcon

Inky

Am I the only one who thinks this game sucks? I mean the Sphinx is good, but first off, the objects are not well defined and look kinda hazy, It's tough to tell if you can sail over objects, the music sux (Bum-beBum-beBum). Let's not forget all the colors it uses. I think I can get more colors from a green and black monochrome monitor!

How about someone doing a Zaxxon homebrew for the 78 to help us wipe the memory of this monstrosity off the earth?

Desert Falcon isn't so bad, it's more like a poor man's Zaxxon. They shouldn't have tried to do that 3/4th overview perspective, the 7800 just can't handle it.

Interestingly, Desert Falcon is one of the games they salvaged from the the crash of 84. When they decided to bring the 7800 out in 86 they needed some games fast so they dug through all the games that were in development when the crash hit to see if they could finish any of them. Ballblazer and Desert Falcon came out of this. Apperently Sky Fox and Rescue on Fractalus weren't far enough along to save.

Tempest

[ 09-20-2001: Message edited by: Tempest ]

While I agree that Desert falcon is not that great of a game, and never understood those who liked any of the versions (2600/7800/XE), I don't think the 3/4 view is the problem or something that the 7800 can't handle, it's just a poor example of this type of game. Some of the graphics I like, although I understand the complaints on color and some objects looking "hazy." The main problem is merely the implimentation. Zaxxon is better implimented, whether on the 5200 or the 8-bit disk version (more to it). I'm firm in the belief that the 7800 could do a *very* good 3/4 overhead type shooter, with better graphics and colors. I've always thought it would be very cool to have an updated 'Blue Max' for the 7800. The 8-bit version of this game is still fantastic, and with more colors and virtually unlimited screen objects I think the 7800 could really make it shine. Blue Max is a classic that was the "rich man's" River Raid. When everyone had consoles and were playing River Raid, Those rich enough to own a 400/800 computer instead, were enjoying this Synapse classic.

[ 09-20-2001: Message edited by: Gunstar ]