IGNORED

Quite a bargain

Max-T

I'm so glad that I discovered Chad Schell's web site just in time to order a CC2. When you think that games like the boxed Crazy Climber and plain Lochjaw cart are going for over $350 on eBay, the seemingly stiff price of the Cuttle Cart seems like chump change. I came within an inch of buying a Rescue Terra I cart (my fav 2600 game) on eBay for $140. But the CC2 seemed like a much more intelligent alternative.

Since I have so far been unable to convince money to spew from my posterior, the Cuttle Cart 2 is expensive, but it will turn out to be a godsend. My last name would have to be Rockerfeller or Kennedy if I wanted to collect every original game. Of course, I have emulators that I can use to play all the ROMs on my PC, but it's just not the same without using the arcane controllers and fuzzy TV connection of the original machines.

Yeah, I own a PS2, XBox, Gamecube, Dreamcast, N64, PS1, Gameboy Advance, Lynx, Game Gear, Genesis, Sega CD, Commodore 64 and a whole slew of PC games, but still I spend most of my gaming hours on the old Atari games. I guess I'm hopelessly locked in the retro culture of my youth. For some reason, I can play Missile Command for as long as I can play Vice City on my PC. So call me a loser -- I admit it.

But I would personally like to thank Mr. Schell for this stroke of genius. People I've spoken to were thrilled with the original Cuttle Cart, and this second one should be so much more powerful and easier to use.

Now I just need to find a 7800 system in good conditon, as mine conked out a couple years ago.

But today is the very last day you can preorder the CC2, so if you want one and haven't placed your order yet, hurry up and reserve one. You'll have to use Paypal now to get the money to Mr. Schell -- it's too late for checks or money orders.

But I'm so excited it's like waiting for Christmas. I live in the eighth largest city in the USA, and I have found a grand total of two stores that still sell used Atari cartidges, and their stock hardly ever changes. I'll walk in there and they have like six copies of Combat, five Pac-Mans, and a few Defenders and Missile Commands. Never seen a cart with a rarity level above 4/10. So odds are the CC2 is my only chance to play the holy grails of Atari, like Crazy Climber, Obelix, Malagai, Quadrun, etc.

P.S. -- For the record, I am in no way connected to Mr. Schell. I wrote this ridiculosly long message just because I think it is a great idea and a must have for any serious Atari gamer.

And if anyone needs ROM fills, email me (max-t@satx.rr.com) and I'd be glad to help you complete your collection. I believe that I have every 2600 title (just under 2,700) and every 7800 ROM (130) including PAL-format games, some hacks, and a few homebrew games and test carts. The number of unique titles is therefore somewhat lower than those numbers. But it's still a whole friggin' lot of games.

So, many thanks to Mr. Schell, and greetings to my fellow retro-gamers. I'd be glad to help anyone out. Let's make this discussion group a place where everyone shares so that all CC2 owners get a game collection as complete as possible.

And if anyone does manage to reformat the game manuals in the 40-column format ideal for the CC2 menu, please post a link to this group.

Thanks to all; hope I haven't wasted too much of your time.

Kyle C.

Can anyone recommend a reputable web store that sells Atari 7800 consoles at a decent price? My trusty old 2600jr is still trucking along, but my 7800 won't power up, and I need a ProSystem to use when my Cuttle Cart 2 arrives.

I would prefer to buy a 7800 from an established dealer in games, rather than trusting John or Jane Doe on eBay. And even though I live in a city of over 1 million people, none of the game stores or flea markets in town sell old Atari stuff aside from a very few common carts.

Also, maybe one of you beta-testers who have been using prototype CC2s can answer this: I've read that there are two slightly different versions of the 7800 -- one with an expansion port (later production runs) and another model without that port (original run).

Also, maybe one of you beta-testers who have been using prototype CC2s can answer this: I've read that there are two slightly different versions of the 7800 -- one with an expansion port (later production runs) and another model without that port (original run).

Actually you have it reversed, the one with the expansion port is the original model. I'm not entirely sure what your question is though. The CC2 works fine in either model if that's what you are looking for.

Mitch