IGNORED

Collector rules...

israelg

Hi,

Do u buy every Atari 2600 system u find ?, or u stop after u have

enough systems, I have two systems the first is a heavy sixer, and

the second is Jr with 160 games builit in, and I found yesterday in the

flea markets a new looking heavy sixer for 10$ and I didn't bought it because I said to myseld that I didn't need another one, now I think I did

a mistake...

What do u think ?

Israel Geron T.

I like to have at least one of every system I collect for. In some cases -- Atari 2600 particularily -- I have a boxed heavy sixer that's my "showpiece" and a Coleco Gemini I use as a tester. The heavy sixer gets brought out from time to time, but new games get tested on the Gemini to save wear and tear on the sixer. I'll also have a habit of collecting multiple systems if I find or win big lots of stuff -- I usually buy for the games and consider the system a bonus, then I'll turn around and sell the spare system with some dupes.

For games -- again, one of each is fine, though I do tend to collect label variations and pirates/rebrands, which are technically dupes, and I'll often obtain dupes when I find better condition versions or boxed/sealed copies to my loose ones. Oftentimes I'll deliberately collect duplicate games if they're rare and/or popular and use them as trade bait. I'm also a sucker for CIB/MIB and NIB games... I'll buy those regardless of how many I already have. CIBs and NIBs make great trade bait. :-)

Oh ... and yes. Passing up that $10 heavy sixer was definitely a mistake. Even if you didn't need another one you could have turned around and sold it for five times what you paid for it or more...

Thats a hard one. The most ethically pure thing to do would be to pass on the heavy sixer so someone who is also collecting enjoy in a really great deal. Of course if you buy it it's an automatic 50 dollar profit if you sell it on ebay, maybe even more depending on the accesories. Me personally I would probably just buy so I could sell it on ebay. I guess im not that ethically pure ;)

For me when it comes the Atari 2600 system, I have collected almost every type of box the Atari corporation made.

1) Heavy Sixer: CIB.

2) Four switch: CIB.

3) Red box Jr: CIB.

4) Black Vader in the big silver box: CIB.

5) Black Vader in the small silver box: CIB.

6) Four switch system in the "Promotional use only box": CIB.

7) Silver box Jr PAL system with the 128 built in games: CIB.

8) Six switch system in the " Factory Reconditioned box": CIB

9) A six switch woody complete that I use to play my games on.

I think in a bit I might try to get a Sear six switch and the Polyvox system.

:ponder: :ponder: :)

Hi,  

flea markets a new looking heavy sixer for 10$ and I didn't bought it because I said to myseld that I didn't need another one, now I think I did  

a mistake...

What do u think ?

Israel Geron T.

you 'did' a mistake :)

Me, personnally I stopped buying :ponder: :D after my 3rd system

Everything NIB I've ever gotten I've opened and played. :) Of course, I don't have anything particularly rare.

I also pass on items I already have when I see 'em at flea markets and such (the rare times it actually happens...). But now that I'm upgrading my living space next month I may get some duplicates...

All I can think of now is that episode of Dexter's Laboratory. "NRFB! Never Remove From Box!" :D

Voch

Hi,  

a mistake...

What do u think ?

Israel Geron T.

When I was in college, I picked up everything I found classic game related. There was almost nothing I wouldn't take home. Then I got married, had a kid, and realized I couldn't do this anymore. Am still tempted sometimes when I find stuff, but I usually am able to walk away.

I think I did  

a mistake...

What do u think ?

Israel Geron T.

Hmmm...3 systems? Do you mean for your personal collection? I seem to recall a certain website with your pics that have, oh say, A WALL of Atari 2600s! :) (Granted those were for selling, I'm sure.) :D

You should post the link so Israel can get an idea of what a collection can turn into. Or maybe he should check out Digital Press gameroom pages.

Buck

I think I did  

a mistake...

What do u think ?

Israel Geron T.

Hmmm...3 systems? Do you mean for your personal collection? I seem to recall a certain website with your pics that have, oh say, A WALL of Atari 2600s! :) (Granted those were for selling, I'm sure.) :D

You should post the link so Israel can get an idea of what a collection can turn into. Or maybe he should check out Digital Press gameroom pages.

Buck

I think he was saying that he never paid for any out of his pocket after the first three. Then he just resold those three and made more money to buy more. The resellers circle :twisted:

I am not looking for profits I only want to know where this circle ends

do u get to the point u can really lay back and enjoy your collection ???

or u just keeping making lists of things u still want, and when this list ends

u make another list...

so NOT buying the heavy sixer let me think that I am not so weak...

what about u guys ?

I think I did  

a mistake...

What do u think ?

Israel Geron T.

Buck

I think he was saying that he never paid for any out of his pocket after the first three. Then he just resold those three and made more money to buy more. The resellers circle :twisted:

actually, I was just being a smartass...........balhahaha ;)

Yeah, thats it! Although they were reconditioned, i couldn't notice anything different from a new unit. They were probably machines that were dead on arrival, and just needed a replacement part back at the factory -- not like they were used / played with. I had one mint, I always kept all the boxes and packaging material inside ( I'm guessing whoever bought it from me back in 1982 or 1983 got it in VERY mint shape. I used the proceeds to buy an Atari 400.

I'd love to get my hands on a nice boxed Reconditioned unit!

IIRC, the VERY early Heavy models were only able to'play' on one channel. There were areas in California and other places that used that channel, hence the need for a Channel select switch.

I think some of the Recon units out there may have been for that reason. Not sure beyond that. Would stand to reason if they exchanged the defective parts for someone, they could reuse everything else and resell it as used...heck, thats most of Funco's business nowadays. Ahead of their time, I tell ya! (sorry, its late, I can't sleep)

Cassidy