IGNORED

Another Sunday afternoon controller project

Gunstar

As many of you might remember, a couple of months ago I converted a 5200 controller into a paddle controller. I will be sending atari age the instructions and schematics for that mod very soon.

Today I finally decided I wanted a really good controller for my 7800. While I probably like the 7800 procontrollers better than many of you (I prefer them to the original 2600 controllers), there are better choices. Whether it's just an upgrade to the European 7800 pads or actually converting a SEGA or Nintendo controller. I wanted something better. I wanted a real arcade controller like I have for my Jaguar. So I used my Jaguar arcade stick. My stick is basically like the Jamma sticks that the GOAT store has for 2600, Jaguar and other systems: http://www.goatstore.com/

My stick has the Jaguar keypad as well though. Well, I basically just added in a Jamma stick conversion, only 7800 compatible instead of merely 2600/8-bit compatible like the Goat Store's. Of course mine is naturally compatible with the 2600 and Atari computers just like the 7800 controller. But I also still have it working as a Jaguar controller as well. I just can't have both controller plugs that are coming out of the stick plugged in at the same time. If anyone would like instructions on doing this with a Jaguar Jamma stick, or just upgrading the 2600 Jamma LX (standard 2600 Jamma only has one button)to be compatible with the 7800, let me know. I'm not going to do anything on making a professional joystick for the Jaguar or 2600/7800 though, as parts are expenxive and hard to find, and would end up costing close to what the Goat Store sells their Jamma sticks for anyway. I Highly recommend their Jamma sticks, Only because I know they are made of very high quality parts just like mine. With this conversion, at least I can save you the money of buying two of the Jamma's if you want both 7800/2600 and Jaguar compatiblity.

[ 09-24-2001: Message edited by: Gunstar ]

• 2 weeks later...

I am interested...but Don't like the idea of the buttons having to be on seperate sides of the stick. I realize this is how the LX stick comes...but I am kinda surprised the Goat store doesn't actually retrofit the design a little and make a 7800 compatible w button stick. If they did...I would be all over it..like..well..you know.

quote:

Originally posted by Gunstar:

As many of you might remember, a couple of months ago I converted a 5200 controller into a paddle controller. I will be sending atari age the instructions and schematics for that mod very soon.

I look forward to putting those online.

As for the conversion of another system's controller for the 7800, I say go for it. I personally am not fond of the stock 7800 joysticks, as they are uncomfortable for me to use for long periods of time. I think they were designed more for looks than ergonomics. I'd rather use the European 7800 control pads any day, or a standard Atari 2600 joystick for games that don't need a second fire button.

So an arcade-quality joystick for 7800 would be great. Even better if it'd work on the 2600 also. I've never used a 7800 stick in a 2600, but I assume that the second fire button would just be ignored and not cause any problems.

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by -^Cro§Bow^-:

actually Al..if you use the 7800 sticks in a 2600 both fire buttons will simply act as one primary fire button. I suppose you could write this off as making the joystick "handy" for lefties or righties...

Ha ha, I didn't know that, pretty cool. However, I bet that joystick is just as uncomfortable for lefties as it is for righties. So they can both suffer through it equally!!

..Al