IGNORED

Indy 500 Fans!

Albert

If you're an Indy 500 fan, we've just posted a Indy 500 XE Track Design Contest! This is a similar principle to the recent Combat Redux contest, but features an editor with a few more features, such as being able to choose colors, the player starting positions (and rotation), and a few other things.

I started a thread in the Contests Forum to discuss the contest here.

..Al

• Like 2

Oh goody!  An enhanced version of Indy 500.  I've been hoping someone would get around to this eventually.

Me too! I love Indy 500, and having new, higher-resolution tracks is going to be nice. Especially since each track can have unique colors and starting positions for the cars. It's a little harder to design tracks for Indy 500 than it is playfields for Combat, but the editor Gustavo wrote allows you to save and load your creations, so you can easily fine-tune them after testing in an emulator (or Cuttle Cart!)

..Al

Guys, I am having trouble getting the track editor to modify a rom. Every time I choose File->Hack ROM the PC asks me which file to Save As. I choose the I500XE.BIN file that came with the zipfile. When I hit OK the program asks me if it's OK to overwrite. When I hit yes on the dialog box question the program gives me the error message "File indy500xe.bin Not Found".

I am assumming the file I500XE.BIN is the file to hack, is it? I tried renaming the I500XE.BIN file to "indy500xe.bin" (without the quotes) but still get the same error. Any ideas?

post-3776-1077373501_thumb.png

Yes thats the file thats used to make the hack. Don't try to overwrite it.  

It's used to make a "New" rom with your track.

I'd suggest using a different name but you already did so I'm just as lost as you. :?

Stupid XP.

Stupid indeed. After reading your post I decided to do re-start my machine and now it's working fine. I honestly don't know why did get that message before. :? :? :?

You know, I have never played this game. I need to be on the lookout for it (and driving controllers) at the upcoming Philly Classic!

I made a sample track, hacked the .bin file, but Z26 doesn't seem to run my new ROM very well. I can't turn sharp enough for one thing. And I go right through my race track walls (but slower and it beeps).

I also really enjoy these contests.

these "tweeks" are awesome tools that keep the games alive. I would have no hope at all of programming Stella. These windows tools are like gifts from those that make them to all of us. I feel some joy in pretending that I'm programming...I couldn't even get Basic Programming to work (but that's not saying much...)

I hope there's an interface in the future that allows Windows-based manipulation of all graphics (and maybe sounds) easily. I use the text based engines for game graphics now...and love them...but would appreciate an easier way. It's probably not doable, but, hey, I can dream.

Great stuff that people put out there...

I made a sample track, hacked the .bin file, but Z26 doesn't seem to run my new ROM very well. I can't turn sharp enough for one thing. And I go right through my race track walls (but slower and it beeps).

That's what I meant above. You have to tell z26 to support the driving controllers. Check the readme for details.

Hi, there is the explanation about laps counter.

There are 2 sensors. The first is what you see like the start line. The second isn´t visible to the players, but exist for the game. So you must pass over the two sensors in order to complete a lap. In the image you can see both sensors in diferent colors. So in your tracks you must ensure that the car can pass over the two sensors.

I hope that this help in your desings ;)

Have fun and Good luck with your entries.

Gus

post-4683-1077585927_thumb.jpg

Some days ago I posted an explanation of the lap counter in the Indy 500. The logic in the original game isn´t working very well, you know the cheat for quick laps: http://www.atariage.com/software_hints.htm...ftwareHintID=69

I sure that this "bug" in the game program can be the problem that Prof Procyon has.

So I will make a better document about the way that really works.

It´s a little more complex, because not works the same way on all laps, this permit the mentioned cheat.

Maybe I will need to change that on the final program. :idea:

Anyway feel free to design your tracks, I promese you that the laps will be counted in the right way.

Have Fun...

Gus

Which system/computer will this game run in/on?  I'm confused at the moment.  The title says XE, but the posted thread is in the 2600 forum.

I also love Indy 500 and will likely buy this game regardless of what system it's on.

It's for the Atari 2600. The XE was tacked on the name in the same way that "Plus" or "Enhanced" or "Platinum" might be to show that this is an "improved" version of the game. I didn't think about the possible confusion with the Atari 8-bit computer "XE" line until you brought this up. :)

..Al