IGNORED

Indy 500 Fans!

Albert

Some days ago I posted an explanation of the lap counter in the Indy 500. The logic in the original game isn´t working very well, you know the cheat for quick laps: http://www.atariage.com/software_hints.htm...ftwareHintID=69

I sure that this "bug" in the game program can be the problem that Prof Procyon has.

So I will make a better document about the way that really works.  

It´s a little more complex, because not works the same way on all laps, this permit the mentioned cheat.

Maybe I will need to change that on the final program.  :idea:  

Anyway feel free to design your tracks, I promese you that the laps will be counted in the right way.

Have Fun...

Gus

Thanks for the quick reply Gus. The racetracks I designed with a long lane at the top of screen would not "count". If you can fix this though, then I will be sure to submit them. :)

I have another question/suggestion: Is it possible to start the cars in other places (while in race mode)? I might be wrong but you can only start from the right side (cars facing left), right? Could it be possible to modify the Indy program so that you could start:

• * From the left side (cars facing right)

* From a vertical lane, with cars facing up or down and a horizontal goal line.

* This last one is a stretch, but here it goes: From a horizontal lane, but with open left and right boundaries so that the cars can wrap around the screen. A lap would require cars to wrap around the screen once. The counter increments regardless wether what sensor what crossed.

post-3776-1077760657_thumb.jpg

post-3776-1077760658_thumb.jpg

post-3776-1077760659_thumb.jpg

sku_u:

:D I'm glad that you associate it, because I do use the XE for Enhanced just in the same way Atari does with the Atari 65XE and 130XE two of my most loved computers. So I chosse it for my hackto put it XE, there are a Minigolf Plus, a combat Redux (more interesting name, good job here too Sach) and now an Indy 500 XE.

So I do it like a tribute, I apologize about the confussion. I tell this to Albert but I belive that my poor english help in the confussion :?

Gus

P.D. I sure will work on a 800XL Game Project, but this is TOP SECRET right now :?:

I am bumping this up to remind everyone of this cool contest. I have been playing my self-created bins with my supercharger and it's great. I really encourage those interested to get a pair of driving controllers and buy this game when it comes out. Controlling the cars with a mouse on a emu doesn't come close to the real thing.

I previously made a post with some ideas for the game hoping gus would say something. I guess they might not be possible without some serious code alteration. @gus: With the atariage contest in full swing, has it changed your goals about your project?

Anyway how are you guys doing? Is it normal for people to hold out to the final moment before submitting?

I am bumping this up to remind everyone of this cool contest. I have been playing my self-created bins with my supercharger and it's great. I really encourage those interested to get a pair of driving controllers and buy this game when it comes out. Controlling the cars with a mouse on a emu doesn't come close to the real thing.

I previously made a post with some ideas for the game hoping gus would say something. I guess they might not be possible without some serious code alteration. @gus: With the atariage contest in full swing, has it changed your goals about your project?  

Anyway how are you guys doing? Is it normal for people to hold out to the final moment before submitting?

Dones, Thanks you very much for your comments and suggestions !!!

It´s really not a small modification to change the start line position/orientation. You know that this affects the laps counter too (a point that has some problems in the original ROM)

And of course, there is no much time left for PC5. Maybe in a future release ...

I´m very glad that you enjoy this game that is my main objective.

I agree with you, the game on the emulators is far from the fun of the driving controls (it´s a must to play it on the real VCS) I´m personally don´t own a supercharger so I will not enjoy it until the final release is ready in cartridge format. May be I can buy some Supercharger in the future but in my country you can´t found any of these :(

Thanks and good luck !!!

Gus

It would be awesome if there were bridges and tunnels on the Indy track.  Something like Sprint... what do you think?

I´m Agree with you. This will be a good option, maybe I try to hack the Sprint in a future or made a new version from scratch...

Gus

Good luck with your contest entries !!! :)

Gus,

What do you think of the track designs posted so far? Any comments or suggestions? Is there a game variation that needs more tracks? Any input you or Al could give would be great.  :)  

Jeff

There are some very good entries !!!

Just one advice, please test the tracks in order to mantaing the fun that this game provides. I means not so narrow (strech) tracks.

I think that we have material for the different game variations...

So choose the gamevar that you like, for your new tracks. My favorites: Race Car and Ice Race

Thanks for your participation and Good Luck in the contest... :)

Gus

Will track submissions be evaluated on real atari 2600 hardware?

Absolutly. I´m doing the development and tests on Z26, but the final release and the entries will be tested on a real VCS. I think that it´s realy important because the playbility is one of the strong points of this game.

Have fun and good luck.

Gus :)

• 15 years later...