IGNORED

600XL upgrade to 64K

walter_J64bit

There are a couple, Atari and MPP both produced 64K upgrade plug in modules, then there are a few internal solder upgrades.

If you're interested, I have a couple of brand new, mint boxed Atari 1064 plug in memory modules for the 600XL, $25 each.

Curt

Hmmm ATARI O.E.M. 64K upgrade, I'll get back with you on that Curt! I want to see the in side of 600XL first!

How does the 1064 MEMORY EXPANSION work?

Does it disable the on-board 16k of the 600XL and then just use the 64k from the 1064?

Or does it just add an extra 48k to the 600XL to get the 64k ?  

:?

I've found my own answers http://www.backntime.net/Atari%20Computers...eXLdevices.html

Its seem to add 64k to the 16k giving the 600XL 80K.

Hmm if I put in an internal 64k Upgrade Kit and use the 1064 at the same time can I get 144k? :ponder:

Hmm if I put in an internal 64k Upgrade Kit and use the 1064 at the same time can I get 144k?  :ponder:

I don't believe that is right. For one thing, the 6502 can only address 64k so you would need some bank switching stuff (like the 130XE had).

I believe that the 1064 disables the internal memory and makes the computer use its memory.

Hmm if I put in an internal 64k Upgrade Kit and use the 1064 at the same time can I get 144k?  :ponder:

I don't believe that is right. For one thing, the 6502 can only address 64k so you would need some bank switching stuff (like the 130XE had).

I believe that the 1064 disables the internal memory and makes the computer use its memory.

I did some more looking and I've found this!

http://www.atarimagazines.com/creative/v10...i_for_the_f.php

it's just adds 48k to the 600XL!

How does the 1064 MEMORY EXPANSION work?

Does it disable the on-board 16k of the 600XL and then just use the 64k from the 1064?

Or does it just add an extra 48k to the 600XL to get the 64k ?  

:?

I've found my own answers http://www.backntime.net/Atari%20Computers...eXLdevices.html

Hmm if I put in an internal 64k Upgrade Kit and use the 1064 at the same time can I get 144k? :ponder:

Not quite... well the 1064 while consider a 64K upgrade module, is a bit misleading. It's actually a 48K module and with the 600XL's own built in 16K would give you a total of 64K, not 80K I'm afraid, sorry :-)

But then you are at the same memory as an 800XL and/or 65XE

Curt