IGNORED

When you think about creating a game....

emkay

Let's make some games instead of only talking about them... :D :P

At least I think so. :) There are all tools ready to use - a crossassembler (X-ASM), Graphics converter/editor (Graph2font) and music editor (RMT). So, there's still a chance for creative minds!! 8)

Let's make some games instead of only talking about them...  :D   :P  

At least I think so.  :)    There are all tools ready to use - a crossassembler (X-ASM), Graphics converter/editor (Graph2font) and music editor (RMT). So, there's still a chance for creative minds!!  8)

Well.... that's the point. When creating games in the way:

a) Let's move a player

b) let's move a char

c) let's put some VBI Music in

Gamedevelopment will end before it starts when trying to use some enhanced features like mid-line changes or quadruple speed for Sound...

My hopes by this threat are that people think about the problems before they occure and try to put the game as it could be done.

First you need the idea, than you have to think how you can put it into code. Coding is the last step.

Well, you are partly right. But as for A8 nowadays, first stage of the process is not needed. Of course I mean the idea. ;) Because there are so many games that weren't done for A8 before.... To name a few: Rick Dangerous, Vector ...

So the process shouldn't be such long as it seems... and developing a completely new, unusual game just doesn't make any sense now... ;)

First you need the idea, than you have to think how you can put it into code. Coding is the last step.

Well, you are partly right. But as for A8 nowadays, first stage of the process is not needed. Of course I mean the idea. ;) Because there are so many games that weren't done for A8 before.... To name a few: Rick Dangerous, Vector ...

So the process shouldn't be such long as it seems... and developing a completely new, unusual game just doesn't make any sense now... ;)

Well, completely new and unusual games would be most welcome... :wink:

...but if it were possible to make a good version of Stunt Car Racer for the A8, I would certainly pay cash for it.

...but if it were possible to make a good version of Stunt Car Racer for the A8, I would certainly pay cash for it.

Okay, side question to the developers; when you think about writing an A8 game, are you worried about being paid for your time or doing it for the challenge? For me, it's the challenge and i'm planning to give the results away when they're completed to my satisfaction...

Okay, side question to the developers; when you think about writing an A8 game, are you worried about being paid for your time or doing it for the challenge?

@ TMR -> I'm Doing It For The Money !!! I want to get wealthy programming Atari 8Bit Video Games !!! :D

Back to Normal Life -> I've loved that machine since 1983/4 (I got my 600XL back in 1983) so I'd definitely do it for the challenge BUT, in this day and age, you can't live of bread and water so a small financial compensation would be welcome (+ my girlfriend would think I'm nuts if there was no compensation involved).

BTW- I went through atariarchives.org many many times (especially DE RE Atari that I hadn't read in ages) and I'd recommend, for the newcomers, to give a hand at a port before doing something completely original. Imitation, in addition of being a form of flattery for the original author, is a very nice way to find your marks.

Anyway, gotta go back to work.

Take care for now guys.

AB.

@ TMR -> I'm Doing It For The Money !!! I want to get wealthy programming Atari 8Bit Video Games !!!  :D

Actually... i was being somewhat sarcastic with the question. =-) i don't want any compensation at all except emails from people to prove they're actually playing what i code (and i don't even want purely nice ones either! =-) My fiancee understands that i'm not looking to make dosh and just leaves me to it...

BTW- I went through atariarchives.org many many times (especially DE RE Atari that I hadn't read in ages) and  I'd recommend, for the newcomers, to give a hand at a port before doing something completely original. Imitation, in addition of being a form of flattery for the original author, is a very nice way to find your marks.

Yeah, seconded although there are some projects that are better suited to a first attempt than others. =-)

Well, you are partly right.  But as for A8 nowadays, first stage of the process is not needed. Of course I mean the idea.  ;)  Because there are so many games that weren't done for A8 before....  To name a few: Rick Dangerous, Vector ...  

So the process shouldn't be such long as it seems...  and developing a completely new, unusual game just doesn't make any sense now...  ;)

Hm, not exactly right. Even if you port an existing game you must have the idea to do it before ;)

there are so many ways how games were born... sometimes it's an accedient sometimes out of a 3d routine like rescue on fractalus etc etc...

a lot of genres are exploited see nowadays console market...where are the innovations? and even "innovative" games are not paid back by the audience...

check out www.gamasutra.com...i can recommend that site. it's a site from professionals to professionals but you can register for free... check out the good articles by veterans ("post mortem reviews") of actual PC or video console games...

most of the info there can be applied to atari consoles as well... (think of GBA or mobile phones... even mobile phones can't beat atari 800 yet... or even spectrum... ;))

in 80s most of inspiration seems to came from the arcade even if concepts where modified little bit... but not many "unique" ones like

- rescue on fractals

- eidolon

- seven cities of gold

- archon (inspired by star wars... ;))

- ultima

- karateka

- donkey kong

- rainbow walker / q-bert

- moon patrol

- gyruss

- pastfinder

- zenji

- star raiders (but i prefer activision's star master....)

- pitfall 2

ooops... ok back to your question... for me sometimes something was inspired through a routine or technique ("fast sprite routine"), sometimes just a better ripp off, sometimes real creativity...

and of course a good programmer validates the concept/ideas on restrictions of the target machine... some programmers are satisfied when they reached 80% of the machine...some are not and want to have 150%...and pushing technical boundaries... TMR, haven't we had this kind of discussion at www.lemon64.com???

and of course a good programmer validates the concept/ideas on restrictions of the target machine... some programmers are satisfied when they reached 80% of the machine...some are not and want to have 150%...and pushing technical boundaries... TMR, haven't we had this kind of discussion at www.lemon64.com???

There have been a few discussions about game design in general, yeah; most of the time it boils down to two camps, designers and coders... =-)