IGNORED

question on 7800 console repair(bad ebay purchase)(UPDATE)..

chrishicks

I recently purchased a "working like new" :roll: system from an ebay seller and it has a few problems.

first is the fact that the power switch doesn't work right. I opened the unit up and low and behold was a duct tape rig-job on the button. the tape was wrapped around that little tab that comes down to hit the board switch. I removed the tape and all those little tabs(start, pause, etc.) are all the same length. non are broke. I'm assuming there is a problem with the switch on the board.

second is the rf plug on the back of the unit. the pic goes from perfect to downright hideous by touching the cable.

the power adapter was all messed up(they cut off a chunk of the cable shield(the thick rubber) right at the plug that plugs into the unit and did something with the wires, then it appears they used superglue to finish it off) and when I asked about it they told me it was like new.(I'm not as concerned about this though)

I really don't want to leave a negative feedback since they won't leave me any until after I leave it for them. I only have 8 feedback and a negative would prob. hurt my rating.

are these things fixable or am I screwed?

thanks for any help.

The rf plug probably isn't a big deal unless it's noticeably loose and even then some simple soldering action should take care of that. Most likely it's just the cable which is a standard item to replace.

I just bought a $5 console only 7800 with switch issues off of ebay. I ended up just cleaning them thoroughly with some electronics cleaner and alcohol. They still weren't working 100% so I made a couple shims out of the guts of a ballpoint pen. Basically just little endcaps over the inside piece of the button that give less than 1/32 inch extra travel. You guys that actually fix things right just hush. :P

It works really well (for now at least) but I understand that the switches are still available, if you're comfortable with de-soldering/soldering. I think I've even seen mention of getting them at Radio Shack.

Good luck.

I recently purchased a "working like new"  :roll:  system from an ebay seller and it has a few problems.  

I really don't want to leave a negative feedback since they won't leave me any until after I leave it for them. I only have 8 feedback and a negative would prob. hurt my rating.

Ahh, the eBay feedback Mexican standoff. But in this case the guy that shoots first gets the sharp end of the stick.

Anyway, in my little eBay experience negative feedback hurts sellers far more than it hurts buyers. No one wants to buy from a seller with negative feedback, but a seller often can't be as picky about buyers. Plus, the seller usually fronts the $$, so if often taking the greater risk.

So go ahead an leave the negative feedback & try to be as accurate as possible with the reason (given space limitations). And if they choose to retaliate, make sure you provide additional comments to both feedbacks.

And if you really feel that you have been burned, you could always see if you can get a refund or work through eBay's various programs.

Regarding negative feedback, maybe say something like; "Received item. Not working like new. Power supply & switch were amatureishly jerry-rigged and RF socket was loose. Had to make repairs."

With that out of the way, I would like to ask, do you have a link to the auction. Personaly, I'd like to read the description the seller had posted so I could know both sides of this. Makes it easier to comment fairly.

"Working like new" - It's a matter of grammer and symantics. Like new, in that phrase doesn't neccessarly imply the condition of the unit, but it's comparative state of workingness vs a new unit. You could just as easily sell only a 7800 mobo w/no case and still justifiably and legaly claim "working like new" so long as it functions in equal capacity.

With that said however, the issue with the jerry-rigged power switch and loose rf connector nullify that point any ways. So assuming "working like new" came from the sellers description, then there definatly is an issue of misrepresenting the item. So negative feedback would be justified.

ok, here's an update on this.

I used some alcohol and cleaned the rf plug thoroughly. after this the console basically lost that problem.

I also used some alcohol on the little switches on the board. it helped a little bit but you still have to push the power button down and have to hold it there for a few to let it power up. same thing to shut it down.

is there something else I could use that might be better? also, what can I use to clean the contacts in the load slot?

ok, here's an update on this.  

I used some alcohol and cleaned the rf plug thoroughly. after this the console basically lost that problem.  

I also used some alcohol on the little switches on the board. it helped a little bit but you still have to push the power button down and have to hold it there for a few to let it power up. same thing to shut it down.  

is there something else I could use that might be better? also, what can I use to clean the contacts in the load slot?

It sounds like your buttons are starting to go out. Not that uncommon for a 7800. If you have a decent electonics store nearby you should be able to pick up replacements for a dollar or two.

To clean the cart slot you can get a bottle of contact cleaner and spray it in the cart slot. Just make sure to give it plenty of time to dry.

Mitch