IGNORED

Using Atari 8-bit with a current model printer

doncleth

I don't think so, modern printers use too many Windows functions to get them to work that most of them don't work too well in DOS either.

You may have better luck using a sio2pc cable and the APE software to print from your Atari. Here's a recent thread describing some problems in XP with Atari printing:

http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hl=en&...00d85090dc75200

In that thread there's a link to a driver that tricks your computer into thinking you have an older DOS printer. That might be worth a try for use with sio2pc.

If all that fails, I have a MPP-1150 Printer Interface and a Star NX1000 Printer (9-pin dot matrix) that I'm not using and works with Atari :D

It can be done. I write printer drivers for a living.

So long as you have a connection to the printer, you can AT LEAST have ASCII output.

If you can possibly convert the output to PCL you can make it look decent.

And BTW: printers don't know squat about Windows functions to print. It's all about PCL/Postscript and in some cases, bidirectional communication. Remember, there are Macs and UN*X machines out there that don't know a darn thing about Windows, they're connected to servers. There are newer GDI printers which can still work, but THOSE printers probably have proprietary PDLs. You can easily dump a PS or PCL file to a printer using DOS:

copy file.pcl serverprinter

However, you'll probably get better output from an ST.

Mike

Hmm, I have not Epson inkjet printer... But, if I good remember - it can use ESC/P2 epson language... I use some time ago Epson LQ100 printer with Microprint with Atari 65XE to print some textes... I'ts no problem for Atari... (try use "PPANTHER" - polish txt editor (You can write any driver for it with special codes in atascii set configuration modes) . You have with all Epson printers Epson FX emulation mode - you can print from many progs on Atari, but graphics converted to 9-pin dot printer emulation is not very nice, but it is possible.

Good luck!!!

I have an Epson Stylus Color 800 and this printer works with the XL&Interface.

It emulates 9 or 24pin printers and most programs work fine.

I don´t know if new Epson printers (the Stylus Color 800 was bought in 1997) still can emulate 9/24 pin, but it should be possible to buy older printers for a few bucks and new ink isn´t expensive for older printers.

Thimo