IGNORED

*Finally!* 200 Unique!

Mindfield

202 to be exact. After a good long time of buying, then selling some of my rare titles to make some money, then trading uniques for other uniques I wanted more, I've finally passed the 200 unique cart mark -- and in under a year, which is good for me. 202 unique, 236 including loose + CIB + NIB entries and label variants, and 252 adding in dupes. Whew! Not the world's best collection, but I'm proud all the same. :-)

I have a feeling, however, that 300 will take considerably longer to obtain. :-)

Congrats on your accompishment!  :thumbsup:

You'll get to 300 faster than you think. You've already got "the bug."  :D

Thanks. :-) I've had the bug since 1982. It simply went into remission for about 14 years. :-) I managed to stave it off for a few years amassing a monolithic emulation collection, but it finally overtook me and demanded physical manifestations. I've since given up any hope of finding (or desire to find) a cure. :D

I'm holding steady at 240 or so. I really hope things work out so I don't have to sell anymore games.

I know the feeling all too well. I've pared my collection formerly consisting of over 22 consoles down to around 12. I've flatly refused to give up my Atari stuff, though. If I have to sell everything else, the Atari systems and games stay. :-)

Congrats!! How many of those games do you get a chance to play? I know that I don't even play 75% of the VCS games I own (which sits at around 240 unique right now). Seems demented but that just the way the hobby goes I guess..

Heh... not many. But then I'm still furiously collecting and currently concentrating on about 4-5 systems, so most of my play time is devoted to testing new acquisitions. Mind you, I'll usually pull out a few favourites when I'm done testing new arrivals just to get a game or two in. What I'm really waiting for is when I can put together some nice display aparatus. I need to build or buy some shelving and display units and make some sort of unit where stuff is easily accessable when needed. Right now everything is stored in boxes in the bedroom, the bedroom closet, the living room behind the couch, etc. :-)

You'll get to 300 faster than you think.  You've already got "the bug." :D

MMF speaks the truth. It seemed that I hung just below 200 for the longest time but once I broke the barrier I was at 300 within the next year. Congrats on the 202, BTW!

Congratulations on your milestone!

This topic made me curious, so I counted the carts in my collection. I have 307 unique titles within a total of 567 carts, which means I have 259 label variants. Plus, I have many additional duplicates that I haven't sorted through yet (there may be more label variants in there :D ). I've been collecting for around a year and a half.

Mine aren't all "unique" in the sense that they're all different games, but they're unique in either ROM, name, or publisher. So Sears and Atari games are counted as two each, pirates, homebrews, etc. are all "unique."

What I don' t include are things like picture vs. text label, 1988 vs. 1982 release, etc. As always you can check out my link for a complete list and judge for yourself.

I do count pirates and rebrands amongst my "unique" titles, though they only cover about half a dozen Sears titles, 8 or 9 Zellers carts, and a Taiwan Cooper.

I'm hoping to have a chance to bring that number up decently at The Video Game Show in March -- it's about the only "show" I have a decent opportunity of attending, though it's nowhere near the proportions of PC/CGE/NWCGE/etc. Not yet, anyway. :-) Still, it'll be a good opportunity to do some volume in-person swapping, buying and selling. Maybe 300 won't be so far off after all. :-)

I do count pirates and rebrands amongst my "unique" titles, though they only cover about half a dozen Sears titles, 8 or 9 Zellers carts, and a Taiwan Cooper.

For me that's a couple dozen Taiwan Coopers, many Quelle carts, and all but four or five of the Sears carts. :) I don't know why but I LOVE the Sears carts.

congrats on the 200 hundred unique carts. right now I have 182 and hope to reach 200 by the end of this year 8)

I hovered around 170-180 for a while, and it seemed to just creep towards the 200 mark -- it seems like I went from 100-170 much quicker than I went from 170-200. Of course getting the commons is easier -- I'm still missing quite a few commons, but I'm creeping up on that region where most of my missing items will be 4s and above...

I started out with close to 30 2600 carts before getting into active collecting. That is when I first came to AA, I only had that amount. :D

I'd already been on AA back when it was still the Nexus and long before I started actively collecting. Actually, being here was what really put the fire in my belly... I'd always see people's finds, scores and wins and feel jealous 'cos about all I could brag about was my ROM collection. :-) It wasn't nearly the same thing, though, so I eventually just started collecting. My first Atari find wasn't 'til early last spring though, but it was a nice one and started me off pushing 100. :-)

I finally crossed the 200 mark a number of months ago. I'll have to say that it was quite a task getting that far. 300 might be doable but I might be pushing it as so far I have most of the commons and what I don't have can get expensive.

Haven't bought too many games lately though. I've been busy enough with what I already have.

You guys are all lucky. One day, probably a decade ago, when I wasn't watching (must've been just after he got his driver's license) my little brother went and sold all our Atari stuff for a few crappy Genesis and Super Nintendo games. Boy, did I let him have it after that.

I am just now beginning to return my Atari collection to its former glory. And it is costing me primo cash, that is for sure.

I don't know why, but I play vintage games from my boyhood a lot more than I play my Playstation 2, XBox, and Gamecube games put together. There is something about those old Atari games that I am addicted to.

Anyone else have the same problem (fortune)?

Absolutely - I forget who said it, but there is a comment posted somewhere here on the Atari Age MB that refers to playing games just for fun, as very few 2600 titles have an 'end' so to speak. That means sooner or later, you're going to get wiped out and lose at the game! :skull:

As much as I love playing modern console games, the ability to save your progress and have a defined 'winning post' can just be too damned safe. I think that old 2600 games drive a competitive need to survive longer (typically) or in other words, a highest score. Could that be the secret to it's lasting appeal?

BTW - A big CONGRATS to you Mindfield on passing the 200+ unique titles mark! 8)

I'd agree with everyone here, reaching 200 seems to take for ever and then things appear to speed up. I reached 200 about 18 months ago, took around 2 1/2 years to acheive. I'm around the 450 mark now and things have slowed to a crawl once more.... :D

Congrats on the 200+ unique carts. :) That number will definately increase...I'm surprised how much my collection as grown from the original 20 or so carts that were given to me a few years ago...

I got around to adding mine up. 262 unique-by-title Atari 2600 carts, 271 total Atari 2600 carts (9 duplicates by title), and 451 total carts for various systems (my current addiction is the super-easy ColecoVision Donkey Kong).

Anyone want to help me move to my new place in three weeks? :D *I* will be moving my collection personally...

Voch