IGNORED

Trouble with new Heavy Sixer

Max-T

Hey everyone. I'm depressed. I just the Heavy Sixer in the mail that I ordered from eBay, and from a reputable seller too (though he shall remain nameless as I don't want to play the blame game).

The picture rock-solid, I mean crystal clear, but the colors are way off. And the only sound I get is white noise (static), but I know it's coming from the VCS, since my TV auto-mutes itself when there is no audio signal.

I don't understand what the problem could be. I checked, using an emulator on my computer, the different color schemes presented when I load an NTSC ROM into a PAL machine and vice versa, thinking that that might be at the root of the color problem, but none matches what I'm seeing on my TV from the new Sixer.

The unit is in 98% cosmetic condition. It doesn't look like it's ever taken any abuse. The only thing I noticed is that, in one point in the attached game cable (I didn't know Sixers had a permananently attached output cord), there is a small spot where the insulation has peeled back and some of the copper wire is exposed. Could that be the problem? And if so, how do I replace a cable that is hard-wired into the unit?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Max T.

Well there is a small wheel, actually a potentiometer inside the VCS to adjust the color. So best thing there is to take the cover off the thing, and try turning that back and forth until you get the colors about on par with what you are expecting. I actually use the game Krull to adjust colors as it has two different shades of green in the game, but they barely show up on the actual TV and I didn't even know they were there until I played the game in emulation. So that should take care of the color issues, since you already have the cover off, you will also notice that the RF cord isn't hardwired. It actually plugs into another RF connector. But the connector is right next to the RF box and circuit on the VCS's switch board. You can simply unplug the one you have and replace it. however, you should know that the end plugged into the Atari switch board has a shorter center post. A full size one however, can usually be used in its place as I did that with mine without any problems. Also, since your already replacing that cord, you might look at the metal RF box itself. Along one side will be a hole. This hole is for gaining access to the RF tuner. This could possibly fix your static sound issue. Basically you will need a plastic allen or Hex wrench that you can fit in there and turn it slowly with a game on and the sound up of course, until you can hear the game again.

I am sure your unit is actually quite fine. Over time many of these items will simply "walk" out of adjustment due to many variables.

Give all of this a shot..and then report back with your findings...so that we can congradulate you on your recent aquisition, and welcome you fully to the hobby.

8)

you will also notice that the RF cord isn't hardwired. It actually plugs into another RF connector. But the connector is right next to the RF box and circuit on the VCS's switch board. You can simply unplug the one you have and replace it. 8)

I don't know if this classifies it as hardwired or not, but when I opened my 4 switcher, the RF cord was soldered to the RF connector.

Don't know if that was from a previous owner or the factory.

Thanks to everyone for your help so far on Heavy Sixer problem. I've realized something that may be the cause of my trouble. Maybe someone has an opinion on this:

I rescued a good friend's 2600jr from the trash heap when he was moving between houses. He had the Junior, a bunch of games and controllers (including some of my old stuff that I had given him years ago), but no power supply. Instead of trying to find a real Atari power supply, I went to Wal-Mart and bought one of those universal DC adapters with selectable voltage. I researched on the net until I found that the Atari power supllies said 9V on them, so I set this gizmo at 9V and te 2600jr worked fine.

When I bought the Heavy Sixer, it did not come with a power supply (which I knew when i bid on the auction). I figured I'd just use the generic thing from Wal-Mart with it. That is when I was getting the wacked out colors and static-only sound.

Upon further research, and since my original post on this topic, I've discovered that the 2600's power supply was rated for 500mA at 9V. The universal adapter I've been using is rated "up to 1.0A" (1000mA). So is it possible that I have been trying to put too much power thru the unit? Also, the guy I bought this from owns a vintage video game store, and he told me that when he tests Atari power supplies on a voltmeter, they almost always read out around 13.5V. So I am probably trying to run the unit either with too much or too little power.

Now, this universal adapter I have does go up to 13.5V, but I am hesitant to try that since the amperage is higher than Atari spec.

Obviously, I should buy a genuine Atari power supply, but does anyone have a thought on the voltage-versus-amperage thing? I'd like to have the beast working ASAP, but at the same time, I don't want to do anything which could permanently damage it.

Thanks again for everyone's time. I'll appreciate any insight.

The 1000ma adapter should not cause a problem, actually it should last longer since it's only running at half of its rated power. The RF modulator (the large silver box near the RF connector on the circuit board) could be going bad. If adjusting the pot that was mentioned earlier doesn't cure the problem then this could be a possibility.

Thanks again to Pixellated Ghost and everyone else who has emailed me to help on this problem.

I have ordered an original grey Atari power supply, meant for the Heavy Sixer, and I am going to see if this solves the problem.

I believe that using an original Atari wall wart will cure my problem. But if not, I will meekly seek all of your kind support once again.

Then, if the new (old) power supply does not fix the trouble, I will replace the "game cable" (or as I will always call it, the RCA cord), and if that still does not take care of the issue, I'll seek your help again,

But my greatest thanks to all who have chimed in on my problem. I appreciate your input more than you could know. It is refreshing to find a group of people who are actually kind and free with their advice. I'll let the forum know how things work out.

My gratititude once more to everybody who has given me their input. I'm sure that with your your help and a little good luck of my own, I'll get the Heavy Sixer up and running in no time.

Gratias Tibi Ago,

Max