IGNORED

Help ! Broken 6-switch Woody !

JohnA

Hi all,

I recently got a broken 2600 "Darth Vader" console and diagnosed a faulty PAL TIA chip. I scrounged one from my working 6-switch Woody and the fault on the Vader was cured :)

I then ordered a replacement PAL TIA from Brad at Best Electronics (Thanks Brad!) which has arrived.

I plugged the new TIA into my Woody and... Nothing :(

I swapped the TIA/RIOT/CPU between the Woody and the Vader, and the Vader still works (so the three chips are all OK) but the Woody is still dead.

Symptoms: Screen is black. It looks like a real TV signal because there is no interference, but there isn't any game either. When I switch the console off I get the usual snowy screen, so it definately looks like it's almost alive.

I've checked the voltage regulator and it seems to be working fine.

I have obviously upset something. Anyone got any suggestions what it might be ?

Thanks in advance,

JohnA.

Are you sure that the cartridge slot is still in proper alignment? I am definitely no Atari expert, but I have had a system before in which the system's PCB was slightly out of alignment. I got a red-and-black screen, as opposed to yur all-black screen, but I was just wondering. Best of luck!

Max