IGNORED

CBS Omega Race question

joeybastard

Why was Omega Race for the VCS released by CBS but my Colecovision version is by Coleco? Considering Coleco made VCS versions of DK, Venture, etc, why not Omega Race too?

In a related question about OR...

The CV version allows you to customize the play options with Astro gates, faster bounce and a tunnel. Did the original arcade game allow that? Does the VCS version?

Why was Omega Race for the VCS released by CBS but my Colecovision version is by Coleco?  Considering Coleco made VCS versions of DK, Venture, etc, why not Omega Race too?

I've wondered that too. In addition to Omega Race, Gorf was also released by Coleco (but by CBS on VCS), but Mountain King was released by Sunrise I think. Seems like CBS and Coleco might have some weird licensing agreement, because CBS also released a whole bunch of Coleco games (Smurf, Zaxxon, etc.) outside of the US for the CV and 2600 I think.

Mountain King was CBS. Sunrise did Quest for Quintana Roo. As to the CBS/Coleco connection, as I recall CBS acquired the rights to all Coleco video game properties at some point. If you got any of the later Colecovision releases, CBS rebranded the original Coleco releases with their name.

Unlike most companies Bally/Midway didn't sell exclusive licenses at the time. The first editions of Gorf and Omega Race were for the VIC-20. Then we saw them released for the 400/800 by Roklan, the 2600/5200 by CBS and the Colecovision by Coleco itself.