IGNORED

My response to very sad news

Atari Charles

Sorry to hear about your loss. I'd be totally ticked off if that happened to me. All I can suggest is you don't let this rest. The only way you'll get over this is to fight for what you believe is right. Pursue this via legal channels and of course TV channels. It was totally wrong what he did. You should be vindicated.

I've learned that with my stuff: Atari, music related gear, photo albums, etc. is that I would never trust anyone to store it for me. Too many things can happen and too many complications can arise(even so small as; "Oh, I thought it would be alright to store your music gear in the cold and damp separated garage" etc.) I would spend the extra money and rent a storage unit in a pro-level facility and get the stuff insured. Yes, it would be more expensive but worth it.

You have to remember all of this stuff is just stuff afterall. You should fight for what you believe is right. You may not get a lot of cash out of this guy, but you can make this guy's life hell if you pester him enough with lawsuits and bad publicity. That's what I'd do. No need to stoop to his level. Bad to say and Iknow I am going to get flamed for this, but if he is unstable, maybe you can drive him to the loony-bin permanently once and for all.

My personal thoughts about collectibles based on 20th centure life. The best place for any rare peice is a museum. They can look after the item much better than you or I could. I've donated and sold a few things to museums(non-atari related) as my wish to insure the continued existance of rare items beyond my lifetime. Perhaps at some point enough people will recongnize the inherent value of Atari and such systems as they were a big part of 1980's North American Life.

Side note: I used to have a huge collection of D&D stuff. I had all the hardcovers. All the boxed sets from first edition and basic, tons of modules, etc. I ended up selling most of it for more than I paid for it as I developed new interests, I could make some money on the sale, and I felt my collection would be better suited to people who had more of an interest in D&D than I did.

I wouldn't try and rebuy everything that you had as that would probably take the a very very long time and there are better ways to spend your time. I would just focus on you favorite hobbie that you are into currently(it could even be a new hobbie) and collect or focus on that. If Atari is your favorite, then buy a complete system and slowly collect you favorite games. No need to try and collect the whole series, but just buy the ones that mean the most to you.

Even in my own life, I realize that when I have kids, they may or may not be into what I am into. I understand and accept that. Just like I am not really into what my parents were into when they were alive. I kept a few things life Family albums and soem paintings but sold the rest. I'm sure my kids will do the same thing to me when I am gone. They may think Atari games are pure junk(kind of how I think about those old 1950's pinball machines). If they aren't into it, maybe by the time I reach old age, Atari gear will be sought after by museums or rich colelctors in Germany, who knows. I'll find the appropriate home for my stuff when that day comes.

Yes, I rambled a bit, but hopefully this helps.

Atari Charles