IGNORED

Adventure II update!

Cafeman

• 3 weeks later...

People keep asking me to port Adv II to the Atari 8bit computers, because few own 5200's or like the system that much. Well, it is my desire to port Adventure II to the 8bits but there is no guarantee. I still think it will come to be sometime during 2004.

The thing is, to put a 32K 5200 cart on the 8bits, you gotta bank switch 2 16K Eproms. But Adventure II is written as a 32K cart, with 32K of addressing. It is not simply a matter of putting half on one 16K and the 2nd half on another 16K eprom. From what I've heard so far, the game's entire ROM memory must be switched around. I've never done this before, so I can't comment on timelines, I can only say that I believe it can be done with hopefully minimal code changes and that we'll try. But the 5200 version will be out first and probably several months before any possible 8bit version. Maybe we'll learn a thing or two from the Koffi Konversion.

Thanks again for the comments and the various emails. Some folks even took the time to send detailed screenshots of some glitches & oddities to help me out in debugging -- thanks again!

I must inform you all that the version you are playing is already old though .... 8)

Just unload your program into RAM and turn off the cartridge.

It wont run on 16k machines but nobody uses those anyway since almost no games work on them.Steve

As obvious as that solution is, I hadn't thought of it. After talking offline w/some other folks, it seems it might not be as time consuming as I thought..

Cool -- thanks for filling me in on the technical side of it, Ron (it's still all like wizardry to me). I don't mean to whine.

Suffice to say that if you do port it to the 8-bit eventually, money will not be an object as far as this boy's concerned.

Looks awesome so far, that's for sure. :)

Believe me EVERYONE needs a 5200 even without AII :D   It's going to make it just that much sweeter.

The issue is often finding a fully working one at a price that won't break the budget. I've only ever found one in the wild in Canada and it died on me not all that long after I bought it. Getting another one is a pain.

Hi Guys,

Why am I having trouble downloading the game from the web site. I keep getting an error message saying I am not authorised to download!! Please help as I would love to try this out. It looks so good from the screenshots I just gotta play it!

Cheers

Gaztee

:twisted: