IGNORED

How to Get Best Picture for Atari 7800

jaybird

I'm curious if anyone has any tips on how to get the best picture for the Atari 7800.

My current setup is having a cable go from the Atari & plug into a coaxial adapter (little metal adapter that screws on normal cable/coaxial male end & allows you to plug Atari cord into) on a manual switch box. So, if I want Atari, I press switch one, if I want SNES, switch 2, to watch TV, switch 3.

When I used this set-up with the 2600 it eliminated all my problems. Not so with the 7800. The only thing I can figure is the cable that goes to the TV (or RF switch if you use that) is wired into the 2600, while it just plugs into the 7800. It has to be something with that conneciton.

I don't want to take my 7800 apart & rewire things...is there another solution? I grow weary of the wavy lines!

If you want to stick with RF than you will want to get a high quality RF cable made for video. The standard RF cable that came with the 7800 isn't that great.

Of course, for a really good picture you can modify your 7800 to output S-Video or Composite. Check the 7800 FAQ for instructions on how to do it.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

Thanks for the tip, Mitch.

Unfortunately, I've already tried the high quality video RF, so that won't solve my problem. And I really don't want to put my 7800 out of commission going in there with a soldering iron. I just don't trust my skills in that area.

Is there anyone who does that modification for a fee? I'd be glad to pay for that service.

Hmm... Does the RF cable make a tight connection with the 7800? I have seen some 7800's with worn RF connector outputs that have a poor RF signal as a result.

My own fix for this (use at your own risk) is to put a small amount of super glue into the 7800's RF port. Try to find the side without the inner metal connecter. Give it awhile to dry, I usually let it dry overnight. This will give you a very firm connection.

I don't have any other ideas other than the usual, keep the RF cable away from power cords, etc. that will cause interference.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org