IGNORED

Joust XE?

tjlazah

Because it eliminated some cost. Gone are the silver door flaps, Gone is the Cartridge guide that snaps onto the PCB. Now there's just an edge connector and a hole in the back of the case.

Now.. why doesn't that Joust cart look quite real?!?

-Bry

That rear cart port is brutal, its just like their Commodore 64's port.

Putting it on the side might have been better.

No doubt that the rear port is the worst, but I never cared for cartridges sticking up out of the top like a game console either, plus if you add passthrough carts which are plentiful and useful, you start to have a tower growing real quick that is possible to even block your view of the monitor! The best design, IMHO, is the 1200XL's side port which completely hides one cart and is very easy to access for insertion and removal. They had the right idea too again with the ST series and the side cart ports, although these are cheaper ones than the 1200's, like the rear XE slots, just on the side.

OK, I feel like I’m missing something here.  IS this the same "Joust" that was released as a standard format cart?  Or does it differ slightly?

If tjlazah isn't fooling us with a homemade label, then it's just the standard release with a new label. Atari re-released "Joust" in 1987 to bolster the XEGS library, and I've seen variants that include silver and grey labels on the entire spectrum of Atari-issue carts. I've never seen an XEGS "Joust" label before, though, and it's extremely unlikely that it would have been "printed in America" (instead of Taiwan).