IGNORED

Should I get an XEGS...

ApolloBoy

The caps are all concave like ST keys. They don't ever solidly hit bottom like 800/XL keyboards. Instead, they provide a progressive rubber-like resistance that feels mushy. Some people like them, but the fit & finish of the XL line is much better (just remember to do a video upgrade like the one I posted).

-Bry

If you like the look and style of the XEGS, then go fer it. Its a nice outfit.

I have a complete boxed XEGS that I have only used once because I like my 800XL better. But I'd never sell the XEGS because, like you, I like the look and style of it and its nice to have as part of my Atari collection.

And I agree with Breyde 100%... I prefer the XL keyboard over the XE keyboard any day; I never got used to that "mushy" feel.

Mendon

What type of an extension cable works on the XEGS keyboard and where can you get one?

I like the XEGS plenty but it has some major usability flaws in the design : mushy keyboard, keyboard cable tpo short, joystick ports on weird angles, composite jacks too far apart ...

I liked the look of this when it came out and still do, but the design isn't really that practical.

What type of an extension cable works on the XEGS keyboard and where can you get one?

DB15M to DB15F make sure ALL 15 pins are wired!

I use these:

db15ext.jpg

Also double for 5200 & Neo Geo extension cables, although in the case for Neo Geo, i had to cut some of the mold around the female end. Neo ports are set further in, these wouldn't work until I trimmed them back some so they would make contact with the pins.

I found these by way of a post on NG.com Someone posted a site online that carried them for like $2 a pop but I forget where I bought from now. Shipping made them closer to $5 each thou. :|

Yeah I used those same cables making longer 5200 cords and 5200/PC adaptors. That XEGS setup with the extension cable is a sweet setup, lets you take your keyboard on the couch like a Playstation or something :)

I need to grab another XEGS keyboard one of these days and try that, I only have the console right now.

I don't think that you should get one. I am about to hook my 800 back up and in fact am currently purchasing lots of games for it.

I think you should just keep doing what you've been doing, except for concentrate on doing more and better.

TRY FOR A HIGH SCORE!!!

Hi guys,

Will a cable like this work?

http://www.cablemax.com/show-item.cfm?catl...s.cfm&id=310338

Not bad for $3.25

-Don

Probably, if it fits it will work. But those twist screw thingies concern me, it looks like it may be too wide to fit on the computer part! The port is at an angle on the XEGS and on the inside edge going in it's close to the same width as the port, that cable sticks out wider than the actual plug part, :ponder:

I have an XEGS that pretty much fills my collection needs. Other than that its really overrated. The keyboard really blows and the unit itself is pretty cheaply made.

I usually use an 800xl, but have a major soft spot for my 1200xl's. The keyboard on the 1200xl is top notch.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...