IGNORED

Choplifter rules!

legeek

I think you're heavily outnumbered around here, Drac.  The 7800 probably has the fewest amount of hardcore fans, I think the number one reason is the NES was so dominant at the time.  And a secondary reason is that many gamers had moved on to XL/XE, ST, C64, or Amiga computers by the time the 7800 came out.  Both 1 and 2 apply to me  :)  

But I admire your 7800 fanaticism  :thumbsup:

LOL.

A couple of thoughts. First, in judging by the number of posts and the number of topics in both the 5200 and 7800 forums here at AtariAge, there doesn't seem to be much difference in the number of topics that either generates, though I will concede that 5200 owners are more passionate. Also, if you want classic conversions of classic arcade games, the 5200 has (IMO) the most solid collection of conversions around ... if you're into arcade games from 1981-4. It is THE SYSTEM to beat, IMO. The 7800 has a different appeal for me ... a mix of some solid classic conversions (ala Xevious, Food Fight, Joust), 2600 compatability out of the box, conversions of computer games from that era and then some NES style games. It's a bizarre mix, but within the small library, there's quite a range of game types ... something unusual for a system of its niche status. And for me, that's part of the appeal.

As for the 7800's success, there are a couple of additional points to consider.

1. With the 5200, Warner *WANTED* it to succeed and invested fairly heavy in advertising and games etc. Hence, the many lost prototypes when the market crashed.

2. The Tramiels inherited the 7800 and didn't really want to be in video games, so they didn't exactly put a lot of effort behind it. Had Warner remained in control, who knows?

3. In terms of sales, neither the 5200 or 7800 were "big hits". I think 5200 owners forget that sometimes. ;-) The 5200 was out of production within two years and abandoned essentially by Warner (not the Tramiels). It probably sold more than the 7800, but I don't think anyone here or in the 7800 group has the sales statistics for either. I would argue that the 7800 was more profitable, only because Atari (under the Tramiels) didn't spend any money on anything and the system coasted on the Atari name.

Don't get me wrong - I like the 5200. I had one until the old "goodwill" beastie that I found in Canada (a rarity in the wild) went to greener pastures and am trying to find another one in a cost-effective way. But, as you know, between border issues, power supply problems and joystick issues, it can become quite a costly endevor.

about the dark background of choplifter : Because of the technologies at that time, games were push to ave very minimalist graphics. I remember as a kid every 5200 game has its world and I kinda was transported there. Just like the first Star Wars series, where it was dark and you could of imagine worlds... I kinda like choplifter unique graphics because it somewhere else probably yes... better elswhere than realistic earth.. earth is to small for the imagination of kids.

why I like now even more my old 5200 memories ... With the 5200 we where introduced to this wild futuristic design video game deck of the early 80's .. putting an end to to that fake wood hippie look of the 2600, even recorders and tv at that time... The early 80's where a rebirth to 50's science-fiction but it lasted too little. and thats why I love that era..

The 7800 was also a promising and graphicly strong machine.. at that if the NES was sold to Atari.. but anyway my father bought me an Amiga. I was groing up and changing... To me 7800 brings back no memories but the 5200... That a major role on liking vintage machines nowadays... 8)

Henry - are you one of the few Canadians who owned a 5200? Its never

been firmly established as to how much the 5200 was marketed in

Canada.

The 7800 is cool because it represents the last gasp of Warner Atari. It

had so much potential that was thrown away. Its unfortunate it was

tossed aside. The 1984 release date was full of exciting possibilities that

are now only AtariAge forum fodder.

Henry - are you one of the few Canadians who owned a 5200? Its never

been firmly established as to how much the 5200 was marketed in

Canada.

Montreal 82-83... After my father got me the 5200 when it first came out we use to go on special occasions to the end of the word, a far far place chasing changing 3 buses to go to a store called Krazy Irving ... and there in the glass were, Pac-man, Star Raiders, Galaxian... Wow.. I was paralized ... but anyway thats about it.. later there was another store and we bought our last game Montezuma's Revenge, I believe that one of my buddies who owned a 5200 told me there was new titles in Toy-R-us at that time.

But it was hard to get 5200 titles in Montreal, I guess I was lucky, my father always hunted for the new end-of-the-line technologies..

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I'll have to be tossed in with Drac's fanatical 7800 obsession group...

As for the topic at hand, I liked 7800 Choplifter. (even the music wasn't bad for Tramiel-era 7800 games). Granted, it wasn't the SMS version, but it was still great. Of course, the only other version I had played was the Apple II (or is it Apple ][?).

Cheers!

Joey

I guess I'll have to be tossed in with Drac's fanatical 7800 obsession group...  

As for the topic at hand, I liked 7800 Choplifter.  (even the music wasn't bad for Tramiel-era 7800 games).  Granted, it wasn't the SMS version, but it was still great.  Of course, the only other version I had played was the Apple II (or is it Apple ][?).

Cheers!

Joey

Wow! Back on topic! Yeah, what I liked about the 5200 version is the analogue control on the chopper (Which I assume is from the Apple ][ version). The graphics aren't as updated as the newer ports, but the control level makes the game a lot more fun. I can finally navigate around the Jets and Satellites! I haven't played the SMS version though (Transbot is my favorite game if that tells you how many I haven't played)

Ben