IGNORED

High Score Club: The Rules & Info - UPDATED 2024

Ze_ro

I think the Hi-Score is a great idea. I do however have 2 issues with the Hi-Score contest.

I do have some reservations about allowing the use of emulators. Although, I love emulators, I think all hi-score contests should be on actual hardware, especially if the score is eventually submitted to Twin Galaxies at some point. However, if emus are allowed, then I blelieveI think there should be 2 separate categories for actual hardware and emus. I'd hate to see the record books with astericks (similar along the lines of Babe Ruth's Home Run record.... (*) Prior to steroid use and 162 game seasons, etc...) I guess I am a purest and being older than most on these boards, I guess I am a bit old fashioned :wink:

It was mentioned earlier that the hi-scores were going to be limited to more of the common games. If emulators are allowed, then I don't see this being an issue and most of the games are available as bin files on the net (right here on AA).

In any event, these are my opinions. Just my thoughts and some points to ponder.

-Lee

I do have some reservations about allowing the use of emulators. Although, I love emulators, I think all hi-score contests should be on actual hardware, especially if the score is eventually submitted to Twin Galaxies at some point.

Who said anything about Twin Galaxies? I thought this was just for fun, and besides, there are too many rules and regulations that go along with TG that we are probably going to disregard.

Who said anything about Twin Galaxies?  I thought this was just for fun, and besides, there are too many rules and regulations that go along with TG that we are probably going to disregard.

Exactly... this certainly isn't meant to be some repository of world records or anything... it's just a bunch of guys trying to beat each others scores, learn more about the games in the process, and (most importantly) to have fun.

One thing I've always disliked about the whole classic gaming hobby is there there seems to be so much emphasis on collecting that actually playing the games ends up taking a backseat. This is just my way of getting people to actually enjoy the games they worked so hard to find. Lord knows I have plenty of games sitting there that I've barely scratched the surface on.

--Zero

I'd like to propose a slight adjustment to the rules. If possible it would be nice if the next person in line were allowed to announce his game a week in advance. The reason for this is so that if we don't already have that game it will give us a few days to get it (for those of us who prefer not use emulation). Just a thought.

-S