IGNORED

I want your ears bleeding ;)

emkay

Emkay, no, when you do fast volume updatings and you switch the channel on and off very frequently (vol=0, vol=1-15, vol=0, vol=1-15 etc.) then Pokey will generate a lot of crackles (you should try with a simple basic routine).

There hasn't to be a "0" switch every "other" time, but the ability to set such a switch, when it's needed.

Think about the dropped notes in Synth-sweeps. Place some "0" in and it won't get weird. But 1/50 sec. is too long and breaks the sweep too.

If you want to play a better Guitar-sound, just set one "0" before the envelope...

a.s.o.

• 3 weeks later...

Approach is a very interesting tune, because it combines multiple music styles...

But, actually, I don't know why I am not stopping creating Testsongs ;) ...

.... still timing problems in the emulation

.... still POKEY isn't fully supported in RMT

but here is another Testsong... :ponder:

I am not happy with it at all, but it has some very interesting sounding moments.

Is anyone interested in converting it into TMC to make some real cool Bass sounds?

• 1 month later...

Sorry, Tatqoo for sqirling in one of your songs, but I think the tune is a very good example, why using a mix of 15kHz and 1,79MHz is quite better, when converting MOD-Files.

The Song is inside the new RMT bundle... It's quite nice. But for me, it loses the main spot that was intentional on the original MOD.

With "my" settings, the basses are basses and the "guitar" sound is recognizable...

Because I am not that genius musician ;) , it's another quick change inside the tune with some good and some weak parts...

Please listen to all three of them....

For me, it would be really nice, if a musician would use this setting when converting Mod-files ...

Sorry, Tatqoo for sqirling in one of your songs, but I think the tune is a very good example, why using a mix of 15kHz and 1,79MHz is quite better, when converting MOD-Files.

I'm very sorry, it seems to me be pretty detuned. But, maybe I am earless...

With "my" settings, the basses are basses and the "guitar" sound is recognizable...

Sounds, sounds, sounds... interesting sounds, ok... exotic sounds, ok... but I can't help myself, where is a music? ;)

For me, it would be really nice, if a musician would use this setting when converting Mod-files ...

Oh, excuse me, IMHO it would be nicer, if a musicians would use ears. :roll:

Please, don't be angry at me, It's my opinion only.

I'm very sorry, it seems to me be pretty detuned. But, maybe I am earless...

If the tune is "detuned" at all, the original must be detuned too. Because it uses the same "spot".

Isn't it the "main cause" to capture the "spot" of a tune, when converting?

Sounds, sounds, sounds... interesting sounds, ok... exotic sounds, ok... but I can't help myself, where is a music? ;)

The music is in the tune that I've already posted ;)

Actually, it is the most extraordinary in tune, RMT can give...

The high guitar sound is acoustically correct for the tune, but it lacks a bit in the deeper notes. So the question ist, why RMT does not play the correct pitch in deeper notes ?

The cause, that the bass-sounds are not better/louder in my edit, is to find in the libraries. It is simply NOT possible to create proper "timed soundings"

Oh, excuse me, IMHO it would be nicer, if a musicians would use ears. :roll:

Please, don't be angry at me, It's my opinion only.

I am not angry...

Especially this tune has a for POKEY "perfect high guitar sounding", that is missed in Tatqoo's conversion.

Good work emkay!  

I have another interesting MOD for you to work with:

OK... a short testsong...to check on different platforms (emulation/real hardware)

Hm... the more I am trying to "Music", the more I am shure, the problem with /out of tune sounding/ is in the volume timing.

So .. if someone has more experience for the volume settings, may try to optimize it.

I think the problem is that each instrument needs to be adjusted for pitch or frequency up or down manually, because there is no way for RMT to know what pitch the original sample was in.

Here is a first attempt to adjust to the correct frequency for each instrument.

Does any know of a good mod player/tracker for windows XP? Mod4win does not seem to work on XP. :(

12th_new.zip

Here another try, with a complete notation offset.

I like this version very much!

Is there a way to know which note RMT plays when you press a key in "PROVE" mode?

This way I can play a note in RMT and play the same instrument in madtracker to see how much the intstrument needs to be transposed.

Thanks I downloaded it!!!

The way you did "ecstasy.mod", is quite nice. But I really have problems to recognize it as a "conversion" from an "original" Mod.  

... hoping you understand what I am trying to explain.

Yeah, I think so. I wasn't trying to be faithful to the orginal, but give it an 8-bit feel. :) Besides, I am still learning, but there are some things I would like to do but RMT just will not allow it.

Here another try, with a complete notation offset.

I like this version very much!

Yes... this one I like, too... because the "heroic spot" lives in the tune, as in the original

Is there a way to know which note RMT plays when you press a key in "PROVE" mode?  

I had asked Raster some time ago for such enhancement, but got no positive response

Yeah, I think so.  I wasn't trying to be faithful to the orginal, but give it an 8-bit feel. :)  Besides, I am still learning, but there are some things I would like to do but RMT just will not allow it.

I am still learning, too (in making music ;) ), and I still know what you mean. It's still a riddle for me, why Raster isn't adding "full" Pokey-support.

I am still learning, too (in making music ;) ), and I still know what you mean. It's still a riddle for me, why Raster isn't adding "full" Pokey-support.

As with any automation tool, there will be somethings you cannot do, or rather there will be somethings better done manually.

RMT is a great tool and I can make music for the 8bit faster than ever...

there will always be a feature request to raster...

This way I can play a note in RMT and play the same instrument in madtracker to see how much the intstrument needs to be transposed.

You can deduce it according to the key on PC keyboard you pressed.

Lower octave: Z... note C, X... note D, ....

Higher octave: Q... note C, W... note D, ...

Or you can easy scroll down below the end of song, there active one new empty temporary track (Control+N) and test notes there. After it you have to clear this track and remove it from song, of course.

Or, I recommend ModPlug tracker: http://www.modplug.com

As with any automation tool, there will be somethings you cannot do, or rather there will be somethings better done manually.

Yes! You're right! :)

I remember my Atari beginnings in 1987-1993 ... all my musics was done in BASIC or later in MAC/65 assembler. Manually writing of tracks TRACK1 .BYTE 121,6,243,8,60,2 (notes, lengths) , song data .WORD TRACK1,TRACK20,TRACK11,TRACK , ... etc..

You don't guess what making music by this way is toilsome. ;)

So, it's logic, you can't judge RMT's colossal comfort enough. :D

Good requests I was building-in to RMT always. ;)

As with any automation tool' date=' there will be somethings you cannot do, or rather there will be somethings better done manually.[/quote']

Yes! You're right! :)

Actually, my requests are not about building a hyper-comfort Pokey tracker, but just to build the Tracker compensating some physical problems on music playback.

And...

Please tell me, where is the problem to create a "more free" usage for POKEYs features , especially for AUDCTL?

So one can choose if "filter", "16Bit" or 1,79 MHz is used and switch it at the envelop....

It's just another value to set to the AUDCTL..?!

Please tell me, where is the problem to create a "more free" usage for POKEYs features , especially for AUDCTL?  

So one can choose if "filter", "16Bit" or 1,79 MHz is used and switch it at the envelop....

It's just another value to set to the AUDCTL..?!

Changes of AUDCTL during the envelope is supported in RMT routine partially only. There is possible to set/unset bit for filter and if distortion 6 is used, join of two channels is activated. And you can combine it with manual setting of AUDCTL. That's all.

I'm sorry, but I don't care to change internal routine and RMT format so that it would be incompatible with current version (so much the more I'm not sure if benefit would be sufficient). no more, no less.

Emkay, you're the only one repeatedly calling for this feature. I heard some few examples you demonstrate advantages of this techniques, but I don't like them... I'm sorry. I will not spend time with working on features I don't like... Please, understand me. Thanks. :wink:

OK... It seems useless at all.

But now, that I have started the "GemX project", let's see if we can come to a conclusion...

My latest changes are in adding some portamento and making the bass a bit more progressive & stable, without using 15kHz.

Actually ... even if most of you guys don't like it... The "singing" voice plays always correctly for the tune, as the "refrain-chord" does.

You can deduce it according to the key on PC keyboard you pressed.

Lower octave: Z... note C, X... note D, ....

Higher octave: Q... note C, W... note D, ...

Or you can easy scroll down below the end of song, there active one new empty temporary track (Control+N) and test notes there. After it you have to clear this track and remove it from song, of course.

Thanks raster. This is awesome and very helpful.

I remember my Atari beginnings in 1987-1993 ... all my musics was done in BASIC or later in MAC/65 assembler. Manually writing of tracks TRACK1 .BYTE 121,6,243,8,60,2  (notes, lengths) , song data .WORD TRACK1,TRACK20,TRACK11,TRACK , ... etc..

You don't guess what making music by this way is toilsome.  ;)  

So, it's logic, you can't judge RMT's colossal comfort enough. :D  

Oh no, I understand. That is why I and very appreciative of RMT. We can make awesome music with little effort now... because you have put most of the effort into RMT. :)

Keep them coming....