IGNORED

I want your ears bleeding ;)

emkay

the last two version + the "guitar" do not sound bad at all... :D

OK. Another try.

Listen to this sound (preferable on the real machine).

Inside the tune I switched between 16khz/64khz.

please take note, that the "piano" is not changed.

Normally, when switching to 64 kHz, all voices are influenced to play deeper notes then.

Listen to this sound (preferable on the real machine).

Inside the tune I switched between 16khz/64khz.

please take note, that the "piano" is not changed.

Normally, when switching to 64 kHz, all voices are influenced to play deeper notes then.

To the coders and musicians:

How is this possible?

(the answer is very easy)

Edit: Ups... I wrote 16kHz... It's POKEY 15kHz AUDCTL-feature... of course :D

This Sound-Example shows, that POKEY is able to play 3 different voices from deep down to "very" high.... and every voice has its own character...

It is always one Pokey, Noise is very low and always "a little 50Hz VBI" is necessary to play it.

Perhaps it sounds a little different on the real Pokey, it is only a finetune thing...

Perhaps something for Sack

Sorry guys.... but it is truely not possible to go further with the "piano" sound....

This emulation library is still too buggy, and it was only a "replication" of what I knew from original HW that I've found this sound again.

On RMT it is only "some distorted noise" and the SAP Player still does not play it....

Has someone somehow sometimes really checked the pokeys abilities? (besides me) :ponder:

When checking out the "piano" voice I had recognized some very interesting soundings. They could build an octave .... but not by changing the frequency but by changing the filter :!:

It must be the same way how SID's noisy Synth-sounds are done...

To reproduce it on RMT a 100% emulation of POKEY and the CPU timing is necessary. When using the "enhanced" Filter capabilities of the POKEY, CPU timing isn't that essential...

Emkay: could you make some kind of tutorial using filters in RMT to achieve such instruments please ?

Or even some short notes here with some explanations from start to the end.

It does not make sense to explain something, you cannot do with the "today" RMT-POKEY emulation. But, if you may try a test on TMC...

Especially the last tune "Smoke" ist done :

1. channel "piano" is build on filtering at 1.79MHz (channel 1 + 3 set to 1.79)... that means full soundoperations at 1.79MHz for real unique soundings.

2. channel "bass" is build by switching pokey to 15kHz and using generator "e"... some timed volume manipulations and you have a very deep and straight tone...

3. channel "some hi attendance" is done ... because pokey is set to 15kHz... with generator "A"and a timed setting of pitch variations is making it sounding higher. Because the "basetone" is low, this sounds even "soft" and doesn't cry "pokeys balls off" ;)

My prefered goal always was to "kick out" this "rumour" that POKEY is always a flat sounding soundchip....And, as the "Smoke" Testsong does show.... it is possible to remove all flat sounding with simple 50Hz VBI programming when using the combination above.

@ emkay

What's the difference between generator A and E?? And in RMT instrument editor you can change 'command'. What's the meaning of 'command' (which can be a value between 0 and 7) ??

A is the main square wave generator

E and C are noise generators and mostly used for "Basstone"

RMT explains the commands by itself....

The only(?) not mentioned function is when command 7 with value "80" is set, you have POKEY's "volume only" feature enabled.

The only(?) not mentioned function is when command 7 with value "80" is set, you have POKEY's "volume only" feature enabled.

There is showed "Instrument active help" when you are selecting command number ... so, if command 7 is selected, there is note at the bottom:

Set BASE_NOTE = $XY, play BASE_NOTE. / If $XY==$80, then VOLUME ONLY mode.

Also when DISTORTION parameter is changed, notices are showed at the bottom:

A ... Distortion 10, pure tones. (AUDC $Av)

E ... Distortion 12, bass tones - bass table 2. (AUDC $Cv)

etc.

Did another small test...

It's again around the 1,79MHz filtering...

You can hear how straight the melody always sounds...even with the "filter distortion"...

My worries now about if we now have to change the filter by creating an intrument for every filter setting...?

A little bit off this topic:

@ raster

I've just downloaded RMT 1.16 today, and I have some questions:

How can I edit instruments other than instrument 00???

I've got your RMT file of 'aurora' and it has some nice instruments I'd like to save/edit/use, but I can't select them in the instrument menu. What am I doing wrong??

However, I really enjoy playing with RMT. I'd like to say: great job.

@ raster

I've just downloaded RMT 1.16 today, and I have some questions:

How can I edit instruments other than instrument 00???

It's always pressing "shift with the "left" and/or "right" key to change the instrument you want to edit and to play with ..

However, I really enjoy playing with RMT. I'd like to say: great job.

RMT itself is a fabulous tool... the bugs are only in the emulation libraries... hopefully someone will fix them.

I am still wondering if anyone knows that those unused "filter-abilites" are still offering a new "world of sound" on the pokey?

Okay, thanks Emkay,

Now I've made a start with the RMT tool, I think I will get addicted soon. I've made a start with the Chili Peppers song I mentioned earlier. I'm fiddling with the distorted grunge guitar sound, but I'm not satisfied yet. But the filters help me in the right way. I need a short and sharp sound. Maybe I need to transpose the guitar part one octave upwards.

I'll post my work in progress tomorrow evening.

Well, here it is, my first RMT song:

"By The Way"

I've looped the heavy part (song line 4).

I'm still not satisfied yet with the grunge-guitar sound, it's too soft, and the other instruments (percussion and bassguitar) are still a bit too loud compared to the guitar.

Coming week I'll work on the other details of the song. This is just a test version.

"By The Way"

I'm still not satisfied yet with the grunge-guitar sound, it's too soft, and the other instruments (percussion and bassguitar) are still a bit too loud compared to the guitar.

Coming week I'll work on the other details of the song. This is just a test version.

This Sounds really good.... especially the baseline.

But I hope this will not be 2 channel through the whole song?

"By The Way"

nice - now this I really do like :)

Can't wait to hear what it's like when you've finished.