IGNORED

Please help. (Joust/Ms. Pac-Man lockups)

Kuddy

I recently got copies of Joust and Ms. Pac-Man in the mail. Joust apparently locks up whenever it tries to put a second enemy on the screen, and Ms. Pac-Man locks up when the red ghost touches a wall while going left, or tries to face downward, or something... no way I can pinpoint the exact cause.. I'm using a four port console, and have tried cleaning both games and my system. Has anyone else had this problem? Are the carts dead? Or is something wrong with my system?

A while back, I had several strange problems with Ms. Pac-Man and Kangaroo on my 2-port. Ms. Pac-Man would play the intro music and then immediately report "Game Over" and Kangaroo would randomly fall of the platforms for no reason. Kangaroo would do strange things on my 4-port too. Moreover, the problem occured with two different copies of Kangaroo. I cleaned the console and games the best I could, but the problems persisted and they were consistent. I don't play those two games much on the 5200, so I just let it go. However, I've never taken the console apart and cleaned the contacts from the inside. I'm almost certain that is the problem.

Yeah, it's probably the RAM and yes, it can be a pain to find. Though on the bright side, usually the RAM is socketed. :)

As to why it only happens on two games; they probably are the only two games that use that particular section of memory in a certain way.

Mitch

Also, Galaxian's enemies lock up on the third wave.

So, I'm gonna buy a Diagnostic Cart next week (money which I was originally going to spend on Marble Craze and a Stelladaptor >:() to see what the exact problem is, then I'll reply here to ask about what I should do next.

You could try just replacing the RAM. After all, old 16x1 RAM is cheap, and it's already socketed.

www.bgmicro.com has them for .70 each (you'd need 8). I think the old Atari 800 16K RAM modules have 8 of them as well (and the ones I've seen were socketed).

-Bry

You probably only need one RAM chip as well. Normally all of them don't go out at the same time. Just swap out a chip and test to see if the games work. If not, then move onto the next chip, keep doing this until it does work.

Mitch

What's the product ID for this RAM?

Sorry, I had the part number wrong. The 5200 requires one of the following part numbers:

HM4816AP-3

MK4516N

MB8118

These are all 5V RAM chips. I was looking up 4116 RAM which requires a triple supply.

It looks like 4164 chips might work if you ground pin 9.

-Bry

Alright, I tested stupid Joust after switching each of the stupid RAM chips and the stupid game still froze. I guess my stupid RAM wasn't the stupid problem. So, any more suggestions before I just up and order a two-port?