IGNORED

Indecision reigns

liveinabin

Right then, I LOVE the 2600,particularly Activisions stuff, good simple playability.

I'm toying with buying a 7800 - but am I really gonna get anything out of it?

NES and SMS both left me a bit cold. Is there any of the old Atari magic in this one?

YES! The magic is there! near perfect arcade ports of the classics plus really good neo-classics like Xenophobe, Ikari Warrior, Commando,Double Dragun, Tower Toppler, etc. good good stuff that will leave you impressed compared to the SMS and NES versions, and give you the same nostalgic "magic" of game play and memories that the 2600 is famous for...the 5200 is an excelent choice to if your unfamiliar with Atari 8-bit computers, but the 7800 shines because it's compatible with the 2600 out of the box (5200 needs adapter).

quote:

Originally posted by liveinabin:

right, there are a couple going real cheap on ebay tomorrow, I may well snap one up

Make sure you get one with a working power supply -- you cannot get those at Radio Shack, thanks to the special plug on the unit.

Once you get it, the cheap common games like Xevious, Galaga, Joust, Asteroids, Poll Position and Centipede are all excellent. I'm sure any number of people (including me) have a Poll Position or 3 they could spare.

EMR

by the way, i have a spare 7800 with a working power supply and 2 working controllers as well as those dozen games in my "GOT OLD FRIENDS BACK" post. i'm willing to give you a better deal than e-bay or even trade for 5200/lynx/jag/3do/dreamcast/colecovision stuff.