IGNORED

Compatibilty List

atarigamer

Okay,

So we need to get it all straighten out. There was a modification that Atari made to the later revision 7800 boards (circa 88 or so?), which was done to allow some of the newer 2600 games (Only Dark Chambers comes to mind), to work correctly. However, this same design change in the 7800 also broke more games than it fixed such as some Activision games like Decathalon, Robot Tank and Shuttle. This same design change is also what made the supercharger adapter not function for those 7800s.

Then in the quest to find out why, Chris Schell set about finding out why his Cuttle Carts didn't work on these newer 7800 either. Basically he found an extra resitor and capacitor and maybe an extra Sram installed which were causing the problems with the older 2600 Activision games. He basically cut that circuit by clipping the capacitor and had his cuttle cart and those games working on a newer designed 7800.

I do not know all the full details of this since it was in fact Chris who did the investigative work on it. I can tell you that I have found more 7800s that work with everything than not. So to me the compatibility issue isn't that strong anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe I have one of the "newer" 7800's since it won't play Activsion's Robot Tank,

that is out of the carts I have the one I know does not work.

I really don't want to open it up to try the modifacation.

Is there a way to tell by serial # or something what one that you have?

I ask this as if I find one at a yardsale or the sorts I could check the serial # to see if it was a newer or older one or do I have to just buy it and then open it up?

Is there a way to tell by serial # or something what one that you have?

There are a couple ways to tell. First, if there is an expansion port on the side it is most likely an original 7800. Only a few later 7800's had the expansion port. Also, if you look at the sticker on the bottom that has the serial number; on the original 7800's it will say Atari Inc, the later models say Atari Corporation.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org