IGNORED

Absolute 7800 games; what is the extra chip...

Gunstar

What is the chip that is on the outside of the casing's "firewall" on the pcb? I have Pete Rose and Title match. I was cleaning them out today and noticed these chips that are visible behind the card edge. This isn't a Pokey chip or some extra sound chip is it?

The case seems to be identical to the Activision 2600/7800 cases, so I'm assuming that absolute used more chips than Activision and had to put a chip out there to fit it...Do all the Absolute games have this chip?

The only Absolute game I have (F18 Hornet) doesn't have this chip. How big is the chip, how many pins can you see? If you see 12 or 14 pins on one side of the chip then it may be an extra ROM or RAM chip. If it has less the 12 it may be a logic chip to control bank switching.

Dan

I wonder if these carts have EPROMs in them. The 7800 Double Dragon that I opened up did

Yikes! So much for that cartridge lasting 'forever'. I hope not many 7800 cartridges use EPROMs.

Any confirmation on a Double Dragon cartridge that doesn't use EPROMs? I hope bit rot doesn't settle in for you :-(

Makes me appreciate emulation even more so. Although nothing beats the genuine thing :-)

-Trebor