IGNORED

2600 Jnr plays b&w ?? :-(

zapper

Hi all ,

Bought a 2600 jnr from a large online auction site!!

Trouble is it plays in black n white:-(

I've tried the console on 2 tv sets and still the same.

I opened it up and there's nothing loose or no components seem burnt.

When the colour switch is operated it makes a change to the screen shades which suggests to me that's ok.

Is this a common fault or am i simply stuck with a worthless item!

Cheers in advance,

Zapper :?

Take the black and white switch apart and clean the contacts inside. Pry the ends of the spring up a bit to increase the tension. Put it back together and see if this makes a difference.

Also you might try adjusting the color pot which is below the power switch.

-S

Could it be it's a PAL Console on NTSC TV or other way round, I don't know as I've only played a PAL system on a PAL TV but with the colour subcarrier of PAL and NTSC being at different frequencies the luminance (greyscale) will be visible but no colour.

As I say, I've never tried using a different format console to my tv so I don't know what the effect is like, just a guess/suggestion really.

I had a similar problem that turned out to be a bad TIA chip.

Are all of the colors visible? If you put in a combat cart, is the right hand player visible or does he blend in with the background? If he blends in, it is almost certainly a bad TIA chip.

It isn't a matter of being a PAL or NTSC console. The actual Consoles between the various countries weren't any different other than the power inputs. It is the carts themselves that switch the TV into the PAL or NTSC modes for play. This is why it is so critical when getting rarer carts that you get the one you want for the region you intend to play. Because the consoles themselves make no distinction between PAL and NTSC.

When you adjusted the color hue pot...did you actually get any colors, but they were wrong..or just different shades of grey?

If just the grey then It could be a TIA problem. Ask around and you should be able to get a spare TIA sent to you. However, the Junior has everything soldered, so you have to break out a soldering iron and some soldering braid or solder sucker...

Let us know...

I'm certainly not an expert in this area, but since NTSC is based on 60hz and PAL on 50hz, doesn't that imply that you would need a 2600 that was at least matched up to 50 or 60hz?

I would be interested in hearing more, if only to clear up my own ignorance in this area :)

• 3 weeks later...

1st of all cheers for the replies,appreciated.

I messed around with the hue pot and it fell to pieces but it did return to normal colour just before it died!

Also the pot/screw near to the rf outlet is now broken i think as i twisted that and now it seems to go in and out of tune.

Shall i bin it or can i rescue it as a little project!!

Can i still get the parts cheap enough.

Thanks again,

Zapper.

Don't bin it, it's top junk, you can easily get another bust one and marry them together as a project. If you do however chuck it do it with some grace, drop it of a cliff or something like that. Where I live prize junk gets thrown into the North Sea, I then mumble under my breath a traditional sea shanty whilst randomly blurbing on about Davy Jones locker to locals out for a nice walk.

It isn't a matter of being a PAL or NTSC console. The actual Consoles between the various countries weren't any different other than the power inputs. It is the carts themselves that switch the TV into the PAL or NTSC modes for play. This is why it is so critical when getting rarer carts that you get the one you want for the region you intend to play. Because the consoles themselves make no distinction between PAL and NTSC.

A PAL Atari is clocked slightly lower than an NTSC Atari. This would mean that the clock speed of the Atari is adjusted by using NTSC or PAL mode. It would also mean that the TIA can generate display information compatible with both standards.