IGNORED

Couple O' 800XL Questions

dr. kwack

I got an 800XL a month or so ago and it's a blast. I'd like to get a printer just to play around with. I have a 1027, but am looking for a graphics printer, not just a letter quality model. What was the best Atari printer, and what still has ribbon/paper available without paying an arm and a leg?

Also- does anyone know if the voice program S.A.M. was compatible on the 800XL?

Thanks...

I can remember using an Okidata printer to print images back in the day. I don't remember the exact name of the model but I do remember that it used a number as part of the name (I think maybe it was an Okidata 10 or 20, don't remember anymore). It was not the best graphics printer but it was a decent one.

Not sure if you can find these anymore except for possibly eBay.

I'd recommend one of the Star NX- or Epson FX/MX printers. They were very popular, and replacement ribbons and parts are still widely available from a number of sources. I had a NX 1001 for years, and never had any problems at all with it. :)

You may want to hook up that 800XL to one of the more modern Epson inkjets, though; you should be able to get them to work with older Ataris with relatively little difficulty.

What was the best Atari printer, and what still has ribbon/paper available without paying an arm and a leg?

I can't answer the question on the best printer. I had a 1027 and I wish I had a dot matrix printer too so I could print out program listings.

Read the SIMMONS THERMAL RIBBONS article from Antic magazine Vol. 8 No. 1. It may help with the cost of ribbons.

The following printers are, shockingly enough, still being sold today:

9 pin:

Epson LX-800

Panasonic KX-P1150

24 pin:

Epson LQ-570e

Epson LQ-2080

Most WP software for the A8 line have drivers that should be compatible with these Panasonic and Epson printers. The latter printers are pricey, but just look at that speed! My last dot matrix printer was highly praised for its blazing speed of 48 cps. :D

You may be able to get an Atari XMM-801 (XL/XE direct compatible) or an SMM-804 (XL/XE compatible w/ printer interface) from Video 61.

OK- after checking, the XMM model is under $100 (less shipping)...didn't see the SMM model.

www.atarisales.com