IGNORED

Basic Programming Music

Reno Nevada

Back in the 80's, my cousin hit upon a rather catchy tune that you can make Basic Programming play. Check this one out... ( -> is the arrow)

Note -> Note + 5

Note -> Note - 3

Note -> Note + 8

Note -> Note - 5

Goto 1

And if any one else has some good sounding "Note" tune programs, I'd be interested in them if you'd like to share them. The above is a good one because it loops continuously without changing when it rolls back to 0.

I'm not sure what's more pathetic: that I specifically sat down to make this last time the topic came up, or that I was able to quickly locate a 2 year old, 6 line program on my hard disk so easily.

1 Note<-N

2 N<-N+If N Then 99 Else 2

3 Note<-Note

4 If P Then Else N<-N+2

5 P<-Note

6 If P-N+2 Then Goto 1

2 years? My "note" program is probably 20 years old. But I guess what makes me a real Basic Programming fan is that I decoded the octave that it plays and what note value equals what piano note, and I like to play this tune on my Casio keyboard.

My sister and I just say "plus five, minus three, plus eight, minus five", and it may sound like secret code to outsiders, but we know exactly what song it means.