IGNORED

Starsoft?

Mindfield

I won this auction for a buck on eBay. The seller claimed that it was tested and working and hard to find in North America. I get it only to find that it's PAL, however. There's no mention of Starsoft in the AA database, though, but I thought perhaps that this was just the Taiwan Cooper, since it looked identical. (It also looked identical to the Quelle version, but that one used the short cart shell that the label fit perfectly on, while the one I got had a label that was too short for the cart shell, thus leading me to believe it was the Taiwan cart)

Anyone know anything about this one?

post-104-1082574047_thumb.jpg

starsoft is a made up name by some german collector. don't know if you can find the story on google. but they had a bunch of carts to trade to someone in the US (jerry greiner?) and made up the "StarSoft" name to go along with the SS on the back of the cart.

what you have is probably a PAL game released by quelle:

http://www.atariage.com/company_page.html?...Value=Ascending

they had games in standard size carts like yours, and smaller carts like taiwan cooper that were sometimes sold in two-game packs. they used the same size boom bang label for both the standard and small carts...so on your cart, it gives the appearance that it does not fit right. here is another example, world end:

http://www.atariage.com/cart_page.html?Sof...areLabelID=2053

i'm kind of surprised danox did not mention it was PAL in his ebay listing. maybe he thought saying it was made by starsoft was enough for a collector to know it would be PAL. maybe tested means: it rolls on my TV just like a PAL game should :(

How'd you know it was Danox?

Anyway, you're probably right. The Quelle version is the only other one I see that uses the same label (besides the Taiwan Cooper). I only presumed it was the Cooper because of the cart size -- the Quelle entry shows the smaller cart that the label fits properly.

Not a huge deal, really, I'm only out a buck. :-)

i'm kind of surprised danox did not mention it was PAL in his ebay listing.  maybe he thought saying it was made by starsoft was enough for a collector to know it would be PAL.  maybe tested means:  it rolls on my TV just like a PAL game should :(

He also had a River Raid II up. This was also tested & working on his TV, no mention whether it was PAL or NTSC or not, but that doesn't look like a NTSC label. It looks like a HES version, Australian Activision cart, which would make it PAL. :ponder:

Hi there!

Anyone know anything about this one?

It's a clone of Crackpots. Quelle sold a similar clone in Germany. It even had the same label drawing and it would also say "Boom Bang" instead of displaying the Activision logo, but the German version is called "Kampf dem Steinfresser".

Greetings,

Manuel