I have a classic atari 2600 (it's heavy, has six switches and is the original

design) I like this thing alot, which I picked up at a tag sale for hardly

anything. The guy who sold it was like condesending like I must be a

little wacked to actually want 20 year old console. Anyway, it's pretty

dusty and there is dust in the little slots where the switches are, so I

thought I would take the beast apart and really clean her up plus get

a loot inside. Is there anything I should watch out for? I dont want to

open the case have a spring or something go flying or some unforeseen

event happen that will ruin my "new" atari.

Also what is the best way to build up a library of games? I would like to

collect as many as possible, but I dont particulary care if I have the box

and manual, so long as I have all the cartridges I could always print out

the manuals and it is not something I plan on selling just keeping for my

own amusement like someone might keep an old pinball machine.

thanks

kvn

it's pretty dusty and there is dust in the little slots where the switches are, so I thought I would take the beast apart and really clean her up plus get a loot inside.  

This issue has come up a couple of times before. The general consensus seems to be to remove all of the electronic parts from the case and put the case it's self into the dishwasher.

I haven't yet tried the dishwasher, but I have had success taking them apart, removing all the electronic components and giving the plastic upper and lower cases and faceplate a nice warm soap and water scrub.

If you're bathing a heavy sixer, be prepared to have the two boards separate when you remove them. There's a ribbon-like cable with metal teeth that comes out of the upper pretty easily and is easy to put back together. First time I did it I freaked and thought I had broken it...

Anyway - the only hesitancy I have about the dishwasher is the potential to warp the shell if it gets too warm - but many here recommend it.

Also be prepared to find weird crap inside. I found a dead bug in the last one I gave a bath. :sad:

Oh - and as much as I hate to recommend it, large lots of relatively common games are sold on eBay all the time. When you're just starting out, a few of these lots can get you a decent collection (at least with fun games to play) pretty quick....

Or if you find a local collector I'm willing to bet they'll have plenty of duplicate carts they'll happily offload to you.

Good luck.

Or if you find a local collector I'm willing to bet they'll have plenty of duplicate carts they'll happily offload to you.

Good luck.

Already sent a PM. :D

Never put your machine in the dishwasher, do everything by hand. ;)

Whereas I am a firm believer of the dishwasher, and for me it produces great results, obviously take the contents out and put the two halves of the shell in. If you do use this method though, use an economy wash with a low tempreture about 30C, it really gets all the nooks and crannys and it truly sparkles.

It's like the million question on Who Want's To Be A Millionaire, do you go for it or don't you. That none of us can decide for you. Phone a friend.

I use warm water, a little soap and an old toothbrush. It works great, but with really dirty ones it may look allright when still wet, but often there's still very fine dust left which becomes visible again when it dries up. I'm a lazy scrubber :P Surface scuffs I remove with a tiny bit of polishing oil. Ok, this may be just as evil as that so called "armour all" stuff, but it does the trick!

Here's a handy link:

http://www.ataritimes.com/features/fea_cle...nyouratari.html

Never put your machine in the dishwasher' date=' do everything by hand. ;)[/quote']

something about putting it in the dishwasher scares me! I suppose it

depends on the type of dishwasher. There are certain plastic containers

and cups that will melt if you put them in there and I would be afraid it

might get hot and take some of the paint off. (already there are a couple

little white spots) and even though I have it for fun more than anything

else I really love the look of it. You can't get any more retro than a

2600 (well maybe pong).

The reason I want to take it apart is to "bath" the machine with soap as

was suggested..

thanks for all the replies.

kvn

The screws in the center of the bottom hold the electronics in place. Remove them last. Remove all the other screws first (they hold the upper deck piece in place).

I use a cotton swab to get between the slots of the upper deck piece. Also do collect the felt pieces that go around the switch posts .. I wipe them off and flip them over for a better look. The switch cover plate snaps out of the upper deck piece .. You can do that for cleaning also.

The whole thing comes apart easily and back together also. Easily done.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

While you've got it apart you can polish up the switches with a little toothpaste on a cloth. I know it sounds silly, but give it a try. It's a very mild abrasive and it will really bring back the shine. Plus your Atari will truly be minty fresh.

-S

While you've got it apart you can polish up the switches with a little toothpaste on a cloth. I know it sounds silly, but give it a try. It's a very mild abrasive and it will really bring back the shine. Plus your Atari will truly be minty fresh.

-S

I never thought of that. I've always used a little baking soda mixed with water. I'll have to try the toothpaste idea next time I clean up a system. Good idea!